Old 22-06-2006, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FDR

Default Can compost go bad?

I came across a clear plastic bag of compost that's probably a few years
old. Would it still be good. Instinct says yes, but I don't want to put it
around my plants and make them sick.

Old 22-06-2006, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
James

I put grass clippings in plastic bags and age them a few years to make
wonderful compost.

Old 22-06-2006, 06:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
sherwindu

If these clippings are from your own lawn, why don't you use a mulching mower and
just leave them where they are cut? If you are removing them from the lawn to use

elsewhere, you are depleting the energy of the lawn and defeating your purpose.

Sherwin D.

Old 23-06-2006, 11:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
John Wheeler

It may have lost some of its nutritional value, but age will not make it any
less effective as a soil conditioner.
_________________
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7

Old 23-06-2006, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article
,
"John Wheeler" wrote:

It may have lost some of its nutritional value, but age will not make it any
less effective as a soil conditioner.
_________________

One of the more interesting fertilizers I've played with was some
300,000 year old bat guano from one of the Texas Caverns. I aquired it
from deep in the cave with permission from the then manager when I
worked there 24 years ago. ;-)

Had to be careful with it as it was quite rich. Very, very high in
Nitrogen.
--
Peace!
Om