Old 09-07-2006, 04:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve

Default grafting, can it be done or is it a science fiction?

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
There is nothing on gods green earth like a vine ripe tomato.

sigh

That's only because you haven't yet tried a tomato scented with
eucalyptus! ;-)
Old 09-07-2006, 05:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve

sherwindu wrote:

David Hare-Scott wrote:

You could with the right technique graft apples and pears with some degree
of success.

No way, Jose!

You will not have any joy trying to graft widely different species together,
the only reason apples and pears might work is that they are closely
related.

Yes, they are both fruits. Closely related, I don't think so. I think you
should
sign up for the same class as the OP.

Sherwin,
Of course they are closely related. They are in the same family, the
rose family (rosaceae). Within that family they are much more closely
related to each other that some other members like cherry or almond for
example.
.... and yes way, Jose! It has been done. There are some pear varieties
known to be compatible with apples and once that compatible variety is
attached, any pear variety can be grafted on that interstem. It's not
real practical but it can be done.
Now, I happen to own a fairly large, producing pear tree that is grafted
onto a mountain ash. If you doubt me, I could take pictures and post
them somewhere for you to view. The graft is about 5 feet up from the
ground so it is easy to see.

Steve

PS to the original poster: Pears and mountain ash are a lot more closely
related that tomato and eucalyptus, so don't get your hopes up!
Old 09-07-2006, 05:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Steve wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
There is nothing on gods green earth like a vine ripe tomato.

sigh

That's only because you haven't yet tried a tomato scented with
eucalyptus! ;-)

EWWWWWW shudders
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 09-07-2006, 07:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
sherwindu

Steve wrote:

sherwindu wrote:

David Hare-Scott wrote:

You could with the right technique graft apples and pears with some degree
of success.

No way, Jose!

You will not have any joy trying to graft widely different species together,
the only reason apples and pears might work is that they are closely
related.

Yes, they are both fruits. Closely related, I don't think so. I think you
should
sign up for the same class as the OP.

Sherwin,
Of course they are closely related. They are in the same family, the
rose family (rosaceae). Within that family they are much more closely
related to each other that some other members like cherry or almond for
example.
... and yes way, Jose! It has been done.

If it was done, I'm sure the grafting union did not last very long. I refer you
to this web site for reference:

http://www.tmorganics.com/gardening_art,conmap,2468

There are some pear varieties
known to be compatible with apples and once that compatible variety is
attached, any pear variety can be grafted on that interstem. It's not
real practical but it can be done.

Interstems are used to graft pears onto quince rootstock. I have only heard
of them used to graft a pear onto an apple using a variety of apple called
'Winter Banana', but I have no facts to back this up.

Now, I happen to own a fairly large, producing pear tree that is grafted
onto a mountain ash.

I am only concerned here about the apples and pears on eachother.

Old 09-07-2006, 11:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mark

I do not think it would smell or taste worse then the one that is
artificially ripened and sold all over US in every supermarket.

And so many people do not know any other.