Old 08-07-2006, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mark

Default Gene splicing. What whould be the name of user group where things like this would be discussed?

I stated that due to updates in technology. ;-) Gene splicing. If
you have access and/or ability to do gene splicing, just about anything
is possible. It's kind of a scary area actually!

What whould be the user group where things like this would be
discussed?

Old 08-07-2006, 03:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bozozozo

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com
:: I stated that due to updates in technology. ;-) Gene splicing.
If
:: you have access and/or ability to do gene splicing, just about
anything
:: is possible. It's kind of a scary area actually!
::
:: What whould be the user group where things like this would be
:: discussed?

alt.boneless

Old 08-07-2006, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com,
"Mark" wrote:

I stated that due to updates in technology. ;-) Gene splicing. If
you have access and/or ability to do gene splicing, just about anything
is possible. It's kind of a scary area actually!

What whould be the user group where things like this would be
discussed?

You could try sci.bio.botany or try one of the other sci.groups.
I'm not sure. I've never hung out on any of those except for
sci.med.nutrition.

There is also google.com for doing more searches on that subject:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...9-1&q=gm+foods

It does not hurt to have a decent background in biology tho' just to
understand some of the science terminology. ;-)

You might have to hit the library and do some reading.

Seriously.

An understanding of basic botanical taxonomy can be very helpful.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 09-07-2006, 11:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mark

alt.boneless
are you serious?

Bozozozo wrote:
oups.com

Old 09-07-2006, 11:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mark

There is also google.com for doing more searches on that subject

I have tried.
Supprisingly, the Goggle search have brought mostly things that are
agains genetics, and some of them even fanatical groups or related to
some kind of religions.
So far I did not find anything that has attracted my attention as being
pro genetics.

Either it is so technically complicated that it is discussed only
between people in industry. Or people posting about it on Internet are
afraid to be burned alive or maybe arrested

It does not hurt to have a decent background in biology

You be supprised, but I have found that just following (not even
participating in it) the heating discussion, can bring you up to speed
so fast and so cheap as compared to conventional education.
At certain point, you are right, there is no way without spending
considerable time in library or in school to move anywhere, but it all
depends where is it that you want to go.

If you are a tennis player competing in Wimbledon, you should learn
from professionals that charge $300.00 /hour. Otherwise the Wimbledon
you are in now will be your last one.
But if you are enjoying tennis, playing 3-4 times a week and play with
people that are 40-60 years old, most probably just playing with better
people and occasionally watching good matches on TV will keep you in
the top 10% of the group you are playing in.
Considering the reality of where you can move from this tennis group
and restrictions to advancement because of age, muscle deterioration,
and some other minor things, I would say that studying tennis real
serious is a waste of time.

I think the analogy I made is good enough?
And again,

Old 09-07-2006, 12:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article . com,
"Mark" wrote:

There is also google.com for doing more searches on that subject

I have tried.
Supprisingly, the Goggle search have brought mostly things that are
agains genetics, and some of them even fanatical groups or related to
some kind of religions.
So far I did not find anything that has attracted my attention as being
pro genetics.

Well, it also depends on your ability to google. G
You have to ask it the right questions:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...+on+plant+gene
+splicing

That should get you started on a more positive note.

Either it is so technically complicated that it is discussed only
between people in industry. Or people posting about it on Internet are
afraid to be burned alive or maybe arrested

There are hundreds of millions of websites. You have to be more specific
and refined in your search requests anymore.

It does not hurt to have a decent background in biology

You be supprised, but I have found that just following (not even
participating in it) the heating discussion, can bring you up to speed
so fast and so cheap as compared to conventional education.
At certain point, you are right, there is no way without spending
considerable time in library or in school to move anywhere, but it all
depends where is it that you want to go.

Well, I'll grant you, you do not have to go take college courses, but
library time does not hurt. You can also simply purchase some good basic
biology and botany textbooks and just read and teach yourself.

That's what textbooks are for. :-)

Seriously, good luck in your search. What you are proposing IS possible
with modern technology, but not just by doing basic grafting from
current plant stocks. Amazon.com sells excellent books on plant
propagation. Here is the one I found that is easy to follow. I bought it
and am glad I did. Informative and reasonably thorough:

http://tinyurl.com/hdj9v

Or you might want to get some books that focus only on grafting:

http://tinyurl.com/kox3a

Some libraries might carry these books to save you money, but I think
it's worth it to shell out for a few and just keep them.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson