Old 15-07-2006, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Daniel Prince

Default Keeping ants off my orange tree

I want to keep ants off my Moro Blood Orange tree because they keep
transporting aphids on to it and the aphids damage the tree. I used
to use Combat bait granules but I can not find it any more. Then I
used Zep ant bait trays which I liked because they are transparent
and I could see when they were empty but I think they were
discontinued.

What is the best system for controlling ants that is still
available? I found this on the web:

http://www.epestsupply.com/cgi-bin/s...n&key=KMANTPRO

Does anyone know if it is any good? Thank you in advance for all
replies.
Old 15-07-2006, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Marcella Peek

I have been successful with Tanglefoot.

http://www.tanglefoot.com/products/treecare.htm

It's sticky stuff that the bugs can't cross. You do have to prune any
branches that touch a fence, wall or anyplace the ants can crawl up to
access the tree that way.

I've not seen the AntPro system before.

marcella

Old 16-07-2006, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Garlic/pepper tea will keep them away. Put two heads of garlic and two
hot peppers in a blender with enough water to let them liquify. Strain
the liquid and add water to make one gallon of ready-to-use. Spray it
where you don't want the ants.

Garlic/pepper tea also keeps away beneficials, so only spray it when
you really need it.