Old 26-09-2006, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default onions

Why do all the stores you buy gardening supplies from carry garlic for
fall planting but not onions?

--
My Word
in

Old 26-09-2006, 02:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:38:34 -0400, MY WORD wrote:

Why do all the stores you buy gardening supplies from carry garlic for
fall planting but not onions?

IF the stores at your locale suck, maybe you should go mail order?
http://www.burpee.com/jump.jsp?itemI...& iSubCat=231
Old 26-09-2006, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
aem aem is offline

MY WORD wrote:
Why do all the stores you buy gardening supplies from carry garlic for
fall planting but not onions?

If they are any good, nurseries will stock things like onion sets and
seed potatoes only when it is the optimum time for planting them in
their locale. In Southern California, for example, if you plant onions
now you will only get green onion results. If you want bulb onions you
have to wait till November to plant. Best thing is to find a good
nursery and ask them. -aem

Old 26-09-2006, 07:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

aem wrote:
MY WORD wrote:
Why do all the stores you buy gardening supplies from carry garlic for
fall planting but not onions?

If they are any good, nurseries will stock things like onion sets and
seed potatoes only when it is the optimum time for planting them in
their locale. In Southern California, for example, if you plant onions
now you will only get green onion results. If you want bulb onions you
have to wait till November to plant. Best thing is to find a good
nursery and ask them. -aem

Maybe you can easily plant onion seeds but not garlic seeds. I've
always use onion seeds and garlic cloves for planting.

Old 27-09-2006, 04:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

MY WORD wrote:
Why do all the stores you buy gardening supplies from carry garlic for
fall planting but not onions?

Probably because garlic needs to be planted in the fall for good
results. Onions can be planted in the spring and that's what most people do.

Old 27-09-2006, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Why do all the stores you buy gardening supplies from carry garlic for
fall planting but not onions?

IF the stores at your locale suck, maybe you should go mail order?
http://www.burpee.com/jump.jsp?itemI...& iSubCat=231

Duh! Now why didn't I think of that! I do it all the time for other
things.

Thanks for the reminder

Old 28-09-2006, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"aem" wrote in message
ps.com...

MY WORD wrote:
Why do all the stores you buy gardening supplies from carry garlic for
fall planting but not onions?

If they are any good, nurseries will stock things like onion sets and
seed potatoes only when it is the optimum time for planting them in
their locale. In Southern California, for example, if you plant onions
now you will only get green onion results. If you want bulb onions you
have to wait till November to plant. Best thing is to find a good
nursery and ask them. -aem

If you check my sig you will see I spend 1/2 the year in Ontario and 1/2
in S. Texas. So November is when I want to plant. But a little early is
ok as we've already planted our garlic. I've checked 3 nurseries as well
as numerous garden sections in stores. thanks.

Old 29-09-2006, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

MY WORD wrote:

If you check my sig you will see I spend 1/2 the year in Ontario and 1/2
in S. Texas. So November is when I want to plant. But a little early is
ok as we've already planted our garlic. I've checked 3 nurseries as well
as numerous garden sections in stores. thanks.

I plant both my garlic and my multiplier onions in the Fall in
Michigan. I save my seed bulbs from year to year of course. Multiplier
onions will give you 3 to 6 new bulbs for each one you plant. They are
similar to shallots but bigger (on average, golf ball size, the seed
bulbs about twice as big), excellent flavor, good storage, a bit more
difficult to peel than regular onions. I bought my onions many years
ago from Territorial Seeds.

Old 06-10-2006, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"simy1" wrote in message
ups.com...

MY WORD wrote:

If you check my sig you will see I spend 1/2 the year in Ontario and
1/2
in S. Texas. So November is when I want to plant. But a little early
is
ok as we've already planted our garlic. I've checked 3 nurseries as
well
as numerous garden sections in stores. thanks.

I plant both my garlic and my multiplier onions in the Fall in
Michigan. I save my seed bulbs from year to year of course. Multiplier
onions will give you 3 to 6 new bulbs for each one you plant. They are
similar to shallots but bigger (on average, golf ball size, the seed
bulbs about twice as big), excellent flavor, good storage, a bit more
difficult to peel than regular onions. I bought my onions many years
ago from Territorial Seeds.

Thanks for the info. It's much appreciated. I'm not far from you. In
Southern Ontario.