Old 30-09-2006, 12:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Hot Peppers

I have a lot of hot peppers (habenero, Thai and Cayenne) that are still
green. We should be getting a frost very soon..in the next few days. Can I
just pick all of them and use them green or is there a way to get them to
ripen up after being picked? Either way they will probably make a good
sauce.
Thanks,
John

Old 30-09-2006, 04:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

John wrote:

I have a lot of hot peppers (habenero, Thai and Cayenne) that are still
green. We should be getting a frost very soon..in the next few days. Can I
just pick all of them and use them green or is there a way to get them to
ripen up after being picked? Either way they will probably make a good
sauce.

Green peppers are edible - bell peppers, serranos, and the long, New
Mexican style peppers are commonly sold red or green. They may not be
at full heat, and they'll certainly lack full flavor (and the
corresponding flavonoids and other anti-oxidants) but you should be
able to pick and freeze them, or use them in a big batch of salsa. Try
one or two today ...

--

..NET 2.0 for Delphi Programmers www.midnightbeach.com/.net
Delphi skills make .NET easy to learn Great reviews & good sales.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I would wait until you get your frost and then pick and freeze them. Do
not be fooled by their innocent appearance. I have never found a recipe
that called for more than a half habanero. The little green habaneros
woill make you wish that you had never bit into them. They will bring
you to your knees. Ice cream will help, but it melts if you sit on it
too long.

- Bill

Old 02-10-2006, 11:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"John" wrote in message
I have a lot of hot peppers (habenero, Thai and Cayenne) that are still
green. We should be getting a frost very soon..in the next few days. Can I
just pick all of them and use them green or is there a way to get them to
ripen up after being picked? Either way they will probably make a good
sauce.
Thanks,
John

Here's what I do. I pull the plants out of the ground and hang them upside
down in a place where the plants will not freeze. The chilies continue to
rippen.
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Peppers inside peppers Chris Dutton Gardening 2 28-02-2006 05:19 PM
Help! Too many hot banana peppers! Bpyboy Edible Gardening 4 27-07-2003 12:22 AM
Hot weather tomatoes & bell peppers ? Gene S Texas 17 15-04-2003 03:45 PM