Old 15-04-2003, 06:44 PM
BeeFarmer

Default Onions

I am trying to grow some large onions. Could anyone tell me what do Onions
like to make them
BIG!!

--

OhioBeeFarmer
Getting kids involved in Beekeeping

Old 15-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Claude Metz

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:21:49 -0400, "BeeFarmer"
wrote:

I am trying to grow some large onions. Could anyone tell me what do Onions
like to make them
BIG!!

Get a variety that makes big ones, such as Ailsa Craig exhibition
ontions, or sweet spanish; grow where they will get direct sun from
dawn to dark; plant good and early in the north, and not too deep;
frequent cultivation, and lots of manure or good compost.

Old 17-04-2003, 12:32 PM
Setzler

It will depend on the kind you have, and whether you want sweet ones, or what.
Being in Ohio you don't need either the southern sweet onions (Vidalia types) or
northern ones, (Walla Walla). You could grow either, or Ailsa Craig, a big kind,
or a neutral day onion. Candy, or Super Star. But you probably should start from
plants, and get them in NOW

susan

Old 26-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Scott Parker

wrote:

I am trying to grow some large onions. Could anyone tell me what do Onions
like to make them
BIG!!

Space. In my experience, it's important to leave them lots of
"shoulder" room.

Scott

....Compost: because a rind is a terrible thing to waste.