Old 04-11-2006, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default How safe is copper-oil-fungicide?

I have a dwarf peach tree that's had perrenial peach leaf curl. More
than 20 years ago I bought a plastic 1 pint bottle of Chacon Bordoil
Copper-Oil-Fungicide, but have never even opened the bottle. Under
Active Ingredients it says:

Copper Sulfate (anhydrous) 6.4%
Petroleum Oil 30%
Inert Ingredients 63.6%

There are warnings about poisoning the water supply and appropriate
precautions. This dwarf tree, which was severely ravaged by peach leaf
curl this last spring/summer is right next to my compost pile, which I
use exclusively to fertilize my vegetable crops - tomatoes and squash.

The unused and unopened bottle is plastic, and for some reason it's
become deformed. It looks as though the volume has shrunk as the walls
of the bottle are pulled in on 3 sides (i.e. the cross section is rather
triangular. I have no idea why.

Should I be concerned about contamination of my home grown produce by
virtue of using this (or another) means of stopping the peach leaf curl?

Thanks for any explanations, caveats, assurances, warnings, etc.

Dan

Old 06-11-2006, 12:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dan_Musicant wrote:
[...]

You can look up toxicity of copper sulfate, but, I don't think it is
something to worry about. Pure material may be toxic but by time it
gets diluted in run-off, it should not be a problem.
Plastic is not impermiable and some of contents have probably
evaporated through the plastic and there may be some oxidation of the
oil or intert contents as well as moisture intrusion. If not
separated, this should not be a problem. For long term storage, glass
or metal containers are far superior to plastic.

In my limited experience with peach trees, their lifetime is short and
it may be better to replace the tree.

Frank

Old 09-11-2006, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

:
:In my limited experience with peach trees, their lifetime is short and
:it may be better to replace the tree.
:
:Frank

Thanks. When I moved here 23.5 years ago, there were two of these dwarf
peach trees. One simply died, don't know why. It may have been stressed
by the large (not dwarf) plum tree whose trunk is about 6 feet from
where that peach tree stood. The other surviving peach dwarf's trunk is
rather further from the plum - about 12 feet, I'd guess. The fruit is
diminutive and a bit tart, but it makes very nice canned peaches with a
little added sugar.

I should really plant some new fruit trees here. The plums are not dwarf
and have gotten so big that they are a real problem. I intend to cut
them down and plant new fruit trees. First, though, I'll probably get
the foundation replaced on the house, and some other major work. It
promises to be a very busy year.

Dan
Old 09-11-2006, 07:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thanks. When I moved here 23.5 years ago, there were two of these dwarf
peach trees. One simply died, don't know why. It may have been stressed
by the large (not dwarf) plum tree whose trunk is about 6 feet from
where that peach tree stood. The other surviving peach dwarf's trunk is
rather further from the plum - about 12 feet, I'd guess. The fruit is
diminutive and a bit tart, but it makes very nice canned peaches with a
little added sugar.

I should really plant some new fruit trees here. The plums are not dwarf
and have gotten so big that they are a real problem. I intend to cut
them down and plant new fruit trees. First, though, I'll probably get
the foundation replaced on the house, and some other major work. It
promises to be a very busy year.

Dan

My peach trees did not last anywhere near that long and I routinely
sprayed. Only problem with peaches was I'd have a ton of them and they
don't last. You can only eat so many and make so many pies, jams and
cans. I was making peach wine with the excess. But, peaches are like
tomatos in that you need to pick them dead ripe to get best flavor and
you cannot buy as good as you grow.

Frank

Old 18-11-2006, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 9 Nov 2006 11:32:03 -0800, "Frank" wrote:

:
[...]

I've always loved peaches. Maybe partly because my birthday is beginning
of August!

I have similar problems with my plums - so many, and they only last a
few weeks. I think peaches are a lot more versatile. I don't think I've
ever tried plum pie. I have made plum conserve (quarts and quarts!),
incredible quantities of plum jam (I must have 30-40 bottles of it
presently, and it seems to have an indefinite shelf life), plum wine
once. The plum jam I have (made from a combination of the two trees,
which is far better than either alone) is just superb. I think it's the
finest jam I've ever had, commercial or homemade.

Peach pie sounds wonderful, and there's other things you can do with
peaches, of course. I really like the canned peaches I make. It's so
easy. I just pit them, add a little sugar, bring to a boil and put in
boiled jars.

Thanks for the tip about tree ripened peaches! I think I'm going to
plant at least one new dwarf peach tree pretty soon.

Dan