Old 02-12-2006, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Cipolline Onions

I've a friend who was ranting about how good cipolline onions were, so
I bought some to try. Well, not only are they annoying to peel, they
tasted like, well, onions. I couldn't detect any differences.

Are they like Vidalias, where the soil they're grown in matters?

Penelope
- "pointed"
Old 03-12-2006, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Penelope Periwinkle" wrote in message

I've a friend who was ranting about how good cipolline onions were, so
I bought some to try. Well, not only are they annoying to peel, they
tasted like, well, onions. I couldn't detect any differences.

Are they like Vidalias, where the soil they're grown in matters?

Penelope

I've grown them here in the Walla Walla valley and "they
tasted like, well, onions." When I grow WW Sweets they
taste like WW Sweets.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

While soil and weather conditions have an effect on onions, genetics
is more important. First there are multiple cultivars of cippolini
onions, ranging in color from white to purple. Secondly, they are mini-
onions, best for bunching. Primarily a cooking onion that can range
from mild to pungent depending on cultivar. They are supposed to taste
like onions, whether or not they serve a purpose better than other
types of onions depends on how you are using them. Descriptions of some
of the cultivars available
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/s...ubcategory=445