Old 17-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Paul

Default Newbie to Gardening

Well, I am taking my first step into gardening since I am getting
first home on April 25th(closing). I decided today to start some seeds
in some cells. So I got a TON of them and started planting. So, I
planted 3 large "sleds?" worth of seeds, mostly various herbs, but I
planted some vegitable also. My MAIN interest is with Hot Peppers. I
planted 2 per cell for the veggies, and with the herbs, the seeds are
so small, so I put a small pinch in each cell. Filled the cells 3/4
with organic potting soil, put seeds in, and a small dusting of seed
starter. I am going to moisten the cells with a water bottle, and put
the clear plastic cover over the cells. Now what? heheh I am SOOOO
excited, but I am not sure how much plant I will need for my garden.
Also, I would like to make an "exotic" veggie garden, and grow some
more exotic/rare edibles. Any Ideas? Thanks!

Paul
Old 17-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Tim B

put the water in the tray and drop the cell packs in the tray so they'll get
water from the garden. You will need lights unless you have 12 hours of
strong sunlight each day. give them some time outdoors starting a week or
more before you plant them out. very fun, glad to have you.

om...

Old 18-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Dwayne

Get catalogs from Seed Savers Exchange, www.seedsavers.org and Seeds of
Change, www.seedsofchange.com. They usually have seeds I would call
different, maybe even exotic. They might be considered a little pricy, but
their service has always been good and their selection has been outstanding.

I would try Japanese daikon, a large radish, White Egyptian Zucchini squash,
sweet potatoes (if you are zone 5 or higher), and a lot of other things you
never see in a grocery store. Have fun. Dwayne

om...

Old 23-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Dwayne

I would start now. I am in zone 5 and my last frost date here is May 15 (I
am figuring on May 25 to hedge my bets). You should have them in pots 4 to
6 weeks before planting outside. I would put pumpkins, watermelons, and
winter squash transplants out when they have been in only 4 weeks. They
send out a tap root, and if they stay in the little pots too long, I seem to
have stunted their growth. Then I have to water them every other day.

Dwayne
om...

"Dwayne" wrote in message

Get catalogs from Seed Savers Exchange, www.seedsavers.org and Seeds of
Change, www.seedsofchange.com. They usually have seeds I would call
different, maybe even exotic. They might be considered a little pricy,

but
their service has always been good and their selection has been

outstanding.

I would try Japanese daikon, a large radish, White Egyptian Zucchini

squash,
sweet potatoes (if you are zone 5 or higher), and a lot of other things

you
never see in a grocery store. Have fun. Dwayne

om...