Old 11-02-2007, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default frost damaged chayote

I have been growing chayotes for several years here in Los Angeles.
This year I had one day in which the temperature got down to 27
degrees Fahrenheit overnight. Both of my vines look dead. Are they
likely to grow back from the roots or will I need to replace them?

If I do need to replace the vines, is there a variety or a growing
technique that would let the vine produce for a longer period of
time? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
I am TERRIBLY cruel to my cat. I actually cut of the ends of
his toes. It's just the hard, dead part that grows back but
Old 12-02-2007, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Feb 11, 11:22 am, Daniel Prince wrote:
I have been growing chayotes for several years here in Los Angeles.
This year I had one day in which the temperature got down to 27
degrees Fahrenheit overnight. Both of my vines look dead. Are they
likely to grow back from the roots or will I need to replace them?

The book I have says that it will grow back. Though that may apply to
light frosts.