Old 07-04-2006, 03:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
kicksave

Default Frost Damaged Petunia?

I live in Atlanta, and despite living here for 15 years (and KNOWING
the last frost is always later than you think...), I planted hundreds
of petunia in my flower beds in nice, manure-rich beds, but didn't get
a chance to put mulch around them. That very night a cold front blew
through and temps dropped. It was above freezing most of the night, but
the temps were 30F for about 2 hours before sunrise.

When I awoke, the petunia looked fine--just a light layer of frost on
all of them. But when I got home that evening, all of the blooms had
wilted. I put mulch around them and pinched each of the wilted blooms
and hoped for the best.

It's now been 2 weeks of 60-75F temperatures, and the petunia still
haven't bloomed again. The leaves are a nice, deep green and the plants
themselves aren't wilted, but each little bud that appears turns brown
and shrivels before ever opening into a bloom.

Has the frost permanently damaged these plants? Do I need to rip them
out and start over? Or can I expect some blooms in a few weeks once the
plant has a chance to completely renew all of the buds?

Old 07-04-2006, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"kicksave" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Your petunias are fine. Here (upstate NY, zone 5, where summer runs from
July 7th to July 11th), petunias take an awful beating from the weather.
I've had them survive multiple frost attacks in late October, and stick
around until November when they finally give up.

Old 07-04-2006, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
betsyb

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"kicksave" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Atlanta, and despite living here for 15 years (and KNOWING
the last frost is always later than you think...), I planted hundreds
of petunia in my flower beds in nice, manure-rich beds, but didn't get
a chance to put mulch around them. That very night a cold front blew
through and temps dropped. It was above freezing most of the night, but
the temps were 30F for about 2 hours before sunrise.

I have Petunias in hanging pots that have come back for the last four years
in a row. Nothing was done after the blooming season. They just keep coming
back.
Betsy in Central NJ

Old 07-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Registered User

Smile

[...]

it sucks when u go through so much work for that to happen. i normally dont grow petunias but i have had on my tomato plants. i dont know if this will help if it ever happens again but as long as the sun hasnt hit your plants take your garden hose and give them a wash off. i heard that from another gardener many years back and it worked for me. just thought i would share this with u. it sounds like your petunias are going to be fine just going to take them time to flower again. have a great day. cyaaaaaa, sockiescat.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

--
sockiescat

Look at it this way: If the flowers hadn't been damaged by frost, they still
would've gotten old & shriveled, and been replaced by new flowers.