Old 28-02-2007, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomato Maturity?

Geeeezzz...

It is the last day of official summer in my part of the world.

And I still don't have any ripe tomatoes (pout.) There's a
somewhat reasonable quantity of green ones. "Moneymaker" breed,
chosen at random in the spring.

There were problems this season with the weather. Incessant,
obnoxious wind (even worse than usual for this town.) Dark.
Cold. I had to keep them indoors way beyond Labour Weekend (late
October - almost end of spring.) And was still worried for their
health later. I live in a place known for it's sucky weather,
but this season has been infused with a bonus of extra suckage.

Fortunately, the tomatoes have been getting much better sun and
heat lately, and are looking OK.

But, I'm thinking of how to start eating sooner next year.

I am thinking of taking a bit of extra effort to get cherry
tomato seedlings next year. Since they are smaller, do they
mature sooner? Are cherries the answer?

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
Old 28-02-2007, 09:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

[...]

don't know where you are posting from but here in NZ the summer has been
late and tomorrow IS NOT the last official day of summer. That will be the
end of march. It doesn't end until MY tomatos have ripened. Only in the last
month have we had tomato weather, hot and sunny. In fact we have had aboput
3 weeks with no rain after a cool and dampish january. Blight got stuck into
the tomatos in Jan and only in the last 2 odd weeks have I started
harvesting anything. The small yellow bell shaped tomatos are ripening by
the day whilst my grosse lisses, which were planted at the same time, are
still green. The cherries I put in later than the other 2 are just starting
to show any signs of red. If you are anywhere me it has been confirmed by
nearly every home tomato grower that this summer has been shite for tomatos
(apart from my parents who had a crop earlier than mine, *******. Thye grew
already propogated dwarf cherries in grow bags if that is a lesson for you).
I started 3 plants late and have them in pots intending to put them in the
green house during autumn to see how they go. Only prob for me is with the
red cherries coming on I am off overseas for a month and will likely miss
them all.

rob

Old 01-03-2007, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
hvt hvt is offline

On Feb 28, 10:43 pm, "George.com" wrote:

[...]

rob- Hide quoted text -

Try a healthy dose of dolommite.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote in message

It is the last day of official summer in my part of the world.

But Autumn is often such a nice long productive season - don't despair yet.

I must admit that I got a shock when I heard on the news that it was now
officially Autumn. I'm not ready for it.

And I still don't have any ripe tomatoes (pout.) There's a
somewhat reasonable quantity of green ones. "Moneymaker" breed,
chosen at random in the spring.

There were problems this season with the weather. Incessant,
obnoxious wind (even worse than usual for this town.) Dark.
Cold. I had to keep them indoors way beyond Labour Weekend (late
October - almost end of spring.) And was still worried for their
health later. I live in a place known for it's sucky weather,
but this season has been infused with a bonus of extra suckage.

Here where I live, it's not advisable to plant tomatoes out until the first
Tuesday of November. I planted out whilst the famous race was on and
because it was so cold I put them in plastic shelters and on cold nights
covered then with more plastic and old sheets and they still got hit by
frost. But now................

Masses of tomatoes and I'm dealing with a great tomato glut.

Fortunately, the tomatoes have been getting much better sun and
heat lately, and are looking OK.

But, I'm thinking of how to start eating sooner next year.

I am thinking of taking a bit of extra effort to get cherry
tomato seedlings next year. Since they are smaller, do they
mature sooner? Are cherries the answer?

Yes they do produce earlier but every year is different even in places with
sucky weather. This year my zucchini are woeful whereas normally they
produce in huge quantities. My advice would be to try a lot of different
varieties in addition to a variety of tiny toms. I normally can't grow
beefsteak type toms becaus e of the short growing season but this year even
my one beefsteak ( "Monster" variety) is growing well. I find that Grosse
Lisse is a good variety.

seed pod maturity nigel savage Orchids 3 13-10-2005 10:12 AM
White Onions - Maturity? Antipodean Bucket Farmer Edible Gardening 9 19-01-2004 05:48 PM
White Onions - Maturity? Antipodean Bucket Farmer Gardening 6 19-01-2004 12:32 AM
maturity of clover seed and trefoil seed? Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 5 02-07-2003 11:10 PM
clover seed maturity; when Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 0 18-06-2003 11:56 AM