Old 15-03-2007, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit

Default Another newbie with questions

Hello,

I'm new here. I went over to alt. home. lawn.garden, and there
doesn't seem to be any activity there pertaining to gardening- just
spam- so here I am. I am crossposting this between rec.gardens.edible
and sci.agriculture.fruit

I thought I'd ask you for some pointers- since we moved from a condo
to a home and have a "real" yard now- I started planting some stuff
on Saturday.

I am excited about watching stuff grow. I went way over my budget- I
got a peach tree, 4 hydrangeas, an azalea, a jasmine, 2 climbing
roses, two blueberry plants and a raspberry and a blackberry.

1) On the package of the blueberries, it says to plant two different
varieties near each other for cross-pollination. I didn't know what
"variety" I had picked up so I went to another store and bought
another, just hoping they are different. There didn't seem to be any
variety marked on the label. I've heard they like acidity- what should
I use on them that is safe for edibles?

2) Same with the raspberries. Do you think raspberries and
blackberries pollinate each other? They look so much alike.

3) Since I can't find any Rainier or Queen Anne Cherry trees here
(South Carolina), I saved some pits from last year. I put them in a
big pot- shallow and about 20 inches in diameter- so they will grow
some before I put them in the ground. Does that seem like a good
thing? We have plenty of frost here in the winter which I think they
need.

And- this may not be your expertise, but-)

4) I like blue hydrangeas, but if the soil is not acidic enough, they
will bloom pink. I thought I'd leave two pink and 2 blue. Do you
know what I would use as an acidifier ?

5) To the person here asking about peach trees- I just planted my
first last week- it was bare- now it already had flowers! I'm amazed.
We just came out of a very cold winter, and it is in the 70's here
right now.

Thanks,

Karen
Old 17-03-2007, 01:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,sci.agriculture.fruit

1. Blueberries; Yes two different cultivars helps. Also you mentioned
South Carolina, unless you are very upstate, you will need either
rabbiteyes (type) or southern highbush. The northern highbush just
does not do much in the higher USDA zones. All blueberries need an
acidic soil pH (5.5 -5.5) Most Georgia and South Carolina soils are
naturally acid, but yours has probably been limed. Take a soil sample
to you extension agent. The liquid iron sulfate (soil acidifier) sold
at most nurseries is the quickest and easiest way to lower pH.

2. Raspberries and blackberries do not naturally cross, But
raspberries do vector diseases that take out blackberries. Not a good
idea to plant the close together.

3. Cherries are difficult in this part of the country. They are also
very slow growing. It will be quite a few years before you find out
what your seedlings will do.

4. The same iron sulfate as on the blueberries