Old 12-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Rich

Default another newbie

Hi there,

Yup, first orchid. I'm totally new to orchids, but have experience with
plants (bonsai, carnivorous, other exotic houseplants etc). Anyway, I was
hoping for some practical advice from the knowledgeable, hence my post.

I bought it yesterday, and it is all of about 1" tall. It currently has two
leaves that are still not completely opened.

The tag describes it as 'Bletilla - Penway Rainbow' (presumably an
artificial hybrid). I'm intending on growing this as a houseplant as I live
in London, England, where things such as gardens are a rare commodity!

So, any advice anyone can give on raising this plant - it's likes and
dislikes would be appreciated. I've currently got it situated near a
west-facing window, it's potted in a smallish black plastic pot (was told
small pot = good), bark compost, gravel and humidity tray.. I've started
watering with filtered water (London water has a gH of around 14), and am
planning on using a weak fertilizer (.25 strength apparently?) This all seem
sensible so far?

A couple of other newbie questions - being aware that there are 1000's of
different species and hybrids galore, is the propagation method of orchids
similar for each species, or vastly different? For instance, how easy would
it be to eventually propagate my Bletilla, and what methods of propagations
are the most feasible? Also, any good books on orchids, particularly on
houseplant varieties and their care?

Many thanks in advance for your time!!

:-)

Rich (the proud new orchid grower)

Old 13-05-2003, 02:20 AM
Karen

Hey Rich, welcome to the addiction. I can not help you with your
questions as I do not grow Bletilla nor do I propagate orchids.
But I wanted to say hi & welcome to our group.
Karen

Old 14-05-2003, 03:08 AM
Ray Lloyd

Rich,

What you are doing sounds reasonable so far as I know. Just as a note,
Bletillas do go dormant and require a cool and drier rest period during the
winter. It sounds like yours is awakening from it's winter nap nicely. I
have one that I grow outdoors but very rarely get flowers on it as I live in
Florida where it is a bit warm for it. Still, it grows green and lush for
me.
Just wanted to let you know to expect it to die back tothe soil in winter
and that it will need coolness later on. Maybe others can tell you more.
As for the propagation, orchids are propagated by divisions, as orchid seed
is different from other seeds and virtually impossible for most hobbyist
growers to germinate successfully.
Your Bletilla, like other terrestrial orchids, grows from an underground
stem. When the plant is large enough, it can be divided to make more as any
other rhizomatous plant can be, by cutting the rhizome.

Hope this helps somewhat. If I have made any misstatements, please feel
free to correct me.

Ray

Old 17-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Rich

Karen, Ray,

Thanks for your replies and warm welcomes to this group! This definately
provides me with a bit more insight..

So, Ray, presumably Bletillas enjoy a slightly cooler climate? Any idea
where they're from?

Karen, Ray - Bletillas doesn't seem like the MOST popular species - are
there a few 'newbie' species or popular ones that are worth me looking at?
(particularly ones that are happy indoors because of my 'lack of garden
constraint').

TIA,

Rich

Old 17-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Ray @ First Rays Orchids

According to the RHS manual of Orchids, bletillas are native to eastern
Asia, but that doesn't narrow it down much. In the US, they are supposedly
hardy in zone 7, which stretches from the Jersey Shore, down the east coast
through VA and NC, then starts to swing west through the northern halves of
SC, GA, AL, MS, up into AR, the southern end of OK, and so on - not exactly
the coolest parts of the country, but not the hottest either.

In terms of commercial sales, phalaenopsis is the most popular orchid.

--

Ray Barkalow First Rays Orchids
http://www.firstrays.com