Old 22-04-2007, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Fun out of gardening

On Apr 15, 7:42 pm, "Leeper" wrote:
I spent nearly a decade ammending my soil with natural amendments, and it is
now very fertile.

In recent years though, the battle with weeds has taken all the fun out of
it, and weeds just love the soil, and grow exceedingly fast and vigorous.

It has gotten so bad, that last year, I skipped planting it.

However, I miss the fresh produce off the vine, and the store bought stuff
tastes like wet cardboard.

How do you guys deal with the weeds?

I'm concidering covering everything with plastic this year, in the hope the
heat will kill many of the weed seeds.

I have found that mulching with grass clippings works pretty well.
Not to brag, but I can grow some world class weeds. Adding a few
layers of grass clippings throughout the summer at least keeps them
managable. Lord know if it weren't for that, I wouldn't have anything
BUT weeds.

Old 24-04-2007, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given expounded:

"Ann" wrote in message
"~~ Shelly ~~" ~~ Shelly expounded:

So how would you handle the weed seeds? Is there a special technique
that works for you? I'm sure that more people other than myself would
like other proven methods instead of Roundup.

I weed. I cultivate the soil frequently which disturbs the seedlings,
severs roots and brings up new seeds to do the same thing to. Weeding
is an enjoyable task for me, calming, centering. It's part of being a
gardener.

I suspect that a respect and appreciation of weeding only comes with age - a
rite of passage for gardeners.

I guess.....but I've always liked weeding. Of course I also enjoy
doing dishes by hand (while looking out the back window, daydreaming
and watching the birds).
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked

Old 02-05-2007, 11:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 16, 11:42 am, "Leeper" wrote:
In recent years though, the battle with weeds has taken all the fun out
of
it, and weeds just love the soil, and grow exceedingly fast and vigorous.
It has gotten so bad, that last year, I skipped planting it.
However, I miss the fresh produce off the vine, and the store bought
stuff
tastes like wet cardboard.
How do you guys deal with the weeds?
I'm concidering covering everything with plastic this year, in the hope
the
heat will kill many of the weed seeds.

Leeper,

I love my gardens. I HATE weeding. If there were no way around it, I would
eat the wet cardboard!

Sprays are one option. Didn't work for me. One year I killed all my
tomatoes, cukes, cantaloupes and something else.

Google the word MULCH. Then read your many, many options. Over the years,
I've tried straw, sawdust from a furniture manufacturer, leaves, grass
cuttings, newspaper (shredded and not shredded), cardboard and some others.

Due to some progressing physical problems I needed to begin simplifying
things, so 3 years ago I went to the black plastic, red for tomatoes. At the
end of the season, I roll it up and use it the next year.

As much as I prefer the organic approach and tilling the mulch into the soil
at the end of the season, the plastic mulch has enabled me to continue
gardening.

Also, it helps to chant in your garden..." I did not weed. I do not weed. I
will not weed."

Old 02-05-2007, 01:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On May 2, 6:22 am, "Grave Yard Guy" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Do you use the regular or the coated kind that reflects the sun? The
reflection is supposed to give the plants a boost as well as
disorienting insect pests.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Due to some progressing physical problems I needed to begin simplifying
things, so 3 years ago I went to the black plastic, red for tomatoes. At
the
end of the season, I roll it up and use it the next year.

As much as I prefer the organic approach and tilling the mulch into the
soil
at the end of the season, the plastic mulch has enabled me to continue
gardening.

Also, it helps to chant in your garden..." I did not weed. I do not weed.
will not weed."

Do you use the regular or the coated kind that reflects the sun? The
reflection is supposed to give the plants a boost as well as
disorienting insect pests.

I've only used the regular, but have a roll of the coated to try this year.

Fun virtual gardening competition to win £10,000 Tulip Tam Marketplace 1 14-04-2009 12:13 PM
very OT - check out this fun site! Bonnie Ponds 0 16-12-2004 01:57 AM
very OT - check out this fun site! Bonnie Ponds 0 16-12-2004 01:57 AM
Fun Gardening Uba Tuba Gardening 5 10-02-2003 11:55 PM
Fun Gardening Uba Tuba Ponds 2 08-02-2003 03:04 AM