Old 18-04-2007, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Reuse of spa water

When I change out my hot tub water, is it possible to reclaim any for
use in the garden or in my large deck pots? Would the chlorine and other
chemicals be too harsh on the plants? The chlorine is kept fairly low as
I also use a silver cartridge as well as an ozonator, and could be
allowed to evaporate easily enough. The pH tends to run low, although
the alkalinity remains constant.
I hate to waste 385 gallons of water if I don't have to. I was thinking
if I put a covered barrel down below my deck and collect some of the
water there as I drain the tub, I could use it as needed.
Goomba
Old 18-04-2007, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Goomba38 wrote in
:

When I change out my hot tub water, is it possible to reclaim any for
use in the garden or in my large deck pots? Would the chlorine and
other chemicals be too harsh on the plants? The chlorine is kept
fairly low as I also use a silver cartridge as well as an ozonator,
and could be allowed to evaporate easily enough. The pH tends to run
low, although the alkalinity remains constant.
I hate to waste 385 gallons of water if I don't have to. I was
thinking if I put a covered barrel down below my deck and collect some
of the water there as I drain the tub, I could use it as needed.
Goomba

If you leave the water out in the open long enough, most of the chlorine
will go into the air. Cl's a gas at standard temperature and pressure.
(Gases can be dissolved into liquids.)

Personally, I'd be more likely to water the lawn with it than the
garden.

Puckdropper

Old 18-04-2007, 06:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Goomba38 wrote:

I also use a silver cartridge as well as an ozonator

When does the ozone generator get used? Hopefully not when there is
anybody in the tub. In commercial use, respirators and maximum
ventilation are required. It protects us from ultra-violet but turns
tires into dust. You do not want to breath it.

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (but, not when it comes to breathing
ozone. Don't do it.)
Old 18-04-2007, 04:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

You can reuse the water better to flush your toilets.

Old 18-04-2007, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

James wrote:
You can reuse the water better to flush your toilets.

If I were living under water restrictions I would do so. I once lived in
a Virginia Beach when strict water restrictions allowed only 50 gallons
of water a day per person. We learned how to seriously maximize all
water use. But I doubt I will be hauling hot tub water in to the house
for the wc anytime soon.
I just want to use it in a convenient manner yet not kill off my plants.
I only need to drain/refill the hot tub every 3 to 4 months, so it won't
be a frequent issue at that.

Old 18-04-2007, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

William Rose wrote:

When does the ozone generator get used? Hopefully not when there is
anybody in the tub. In commercial use, respirators and maximum
ventilation are required. It protects us from ultra-violet but turns
tires into dust. You do not want to breath it.

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (but, not when it comes to breathing
ozone. Don't do it.)

Ozone water systems are quite common in spas and hot tubs. No health
alarms have been sounded over them that I'm aware of?
Old 18-04-2007, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Goomba38 wrote:

William Rose wrote:

When does the ozone generator get used? Hopefully not when there is
anybody in the tub. In commercial use, respirators and maximum
ventilation are required. It protects us from ultra-violet but turns
tires into dust. You do not want to breath it.

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (but, not when it comes to breathing
ozone. Don't do it.)

---------

Goomba38 wrote

Ozone water systems are quite common in spas and hot tubs. No health
alarms have been sounded over them that I'm aware of?

---------
Goomba,
I am not an authority on the toxicity of O3 (ozone) however I've worked
with it and I've been told to respect it. Somebody, somewhere must have
found an acceptable LD50 level for it but,

the American Lung Association
http://lungaction.org/reports/sota04_heffects3.html
and,
the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health & Safety
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemi...e/health_ozo.h
tml apparently haven't given their imprimatur to it
and,
OSHA has set fairly strict limits to exposer of it.
http://www.osha.gov/dts/chemicalsamp...CH_259300.html

I don't know but, if your going to get one, you should research it out
first. It is not a no brainer. My observation is that it is really
ridiculous that we are at the point where we need an advocate when we go
into the market place. Who can know all this stuff? We do self-help in
this news group but when it comes to GMOs, cloned meats, safe
insecticides, drugs, and cell phones, we are the guinea pigs. Oh yeah,
that goes for CEO Presidents too.(Remember that one?)

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)
Old 19-04-2007, 12:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
William Rose wrote:

In article ,
Goomba38 wrote:

William Rose wrote:

[...]

Sorry guys but you may want to take a gander at
http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen...%20a%20thing%2
0as%20good%20and%20bad%20ozone
as well. It is for air borne O3, which O3 is once it's no longer part of
the solute, but reinforces the concept of not good.
- Bill

Kent - I thought the King had more affected the Duke of Albany than
Cornwall.

Gloster - It did always seem so to us: but now, in the division of the
Kingdom, it appears not which of the dukes he values most; for
equalities are so weighted that curiosity in neither can make choice of
either's moiety.... (to be continued:-)