Old 29-04-2007, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Rehabilitating my raspberry bushes

Hi everyone,

I am new to this group and pretty much new to doing anything in the
garden. Last year I got new siding put on my house and as a result, my
raspberry bushes got trampled on, snapped and pretty much destroyed.

I'm hoping they will come back this summer. I am already seeing new
branches sprout with leaves on them. I spoke with a neighbor of mine
who does a lot of gardening and what she told me was promising. She
basically said to pull out the dead branches, and clear the ground of
any remaining debris with a rake.

I began pulling out the dead branches today, however I am not exactly
sure what constitutes a dead branch. Some branches are extremely dry
and brittle and pull out easily.These have a grayish color to them. I
assume it is safe to pull those out. The other things I am seeing are
what I am confused about. There are branches that aren't as brittle as
the others. These have a light brown color to them, similar to the
color of the new ones that are coming up. These still appear to be
rooted in the ground, however there are no leaves or buds growing on
them. They are also (like the grayish ones) laying pretty close to the
ground. What do I do with these? Is it safe to pull them out or will
they eventually start budding again?

Thanks

Old 29-04-2007, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Hi All,
Scrape the bark off the brown branches, if it is green under the bark and
looks alive, which I suspect it will then leave well alone. If you are in
doubt leave them anyway, as you can allways remove them later. hope this
helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

Rehabilitating Soil Thornhill Gardening 6 28-02-2006 02:59 PM
Cutting back raspberry bushes Jo M Edible Gardening 3 13-11-2004 08:18 PM
Raspberry bushes in the winter Ellie C United Kingdom 15 20-10-2004 11:22 AM
RASPBERRY BUSHES WARRENRN1 Gardening 4 02-07-2003 03:08 AM
Raspberry Bushes Dessy Edible Gardening 3 24-02-2003 01:03 PM