Old 12-05-2007, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Preventing spread of blackberries

Some years ago I planted 2 small blackberry shoots along the rear
fence of my yard. While I love the blackberries I get, I now have
50+
plants and they are migrating forward into my yard. Last year I dug
and removed the plants that had come too far forward from the fence.
My goal is to do something permanent to keep the grass out of the
blackberry area and the blackberries out of the grass.

My idea is to dig a narrow trench (30 to 40 feet long) parallel to
and
a few feet away from the fence (basically an arms length away) and
bury something like alumninum that is sold in rolls of various widths
to prevent the roots from migrating across that border, then maybe
later putting down rock inside the border.

My questions:

1) How deep does material need to go? I am guessing 6 to 8 inches or
will the roots eventually go deeper and come under? I would like
this
solution to last 20 years or more.

2) If I put some rock down where the blackberries are will I kill
them
off accidentally? I want to keep the blackberries, just contain them
and have an area that still looks reasonably attractive in the winter
when the canes have been pruned back to the ground. I am guessing a
thin layer of small landscape rock might be okay or should I go with
mulch?

3) If the alumnium is a bad idea, why, and what would you suggest
instead?

Thanks in advance for any and all help or humor.

Old 17-05-2007, 07:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

My Triple Crown Blackberries propagate by bending over and sinking their tips
into
the soil to form a new plant. If yours are like that, can't you simply
discourage that
kind of thing?

Sherwin D?

Old 25-05-2007, 09:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On May 12, 11:11�am, 1_Patriotic_Guy wrote:
[...]

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SUGGEST EXCEPT A WEED WHIP WITH A METAL BRUSH
BLADE, SOME STEEL TOED SHOES, AND FACE & EYE PROTECTION. IT WON'T TAKE
LONG IF YOU HAVE THE CORRECT EQUIPMENT AS THE STALKS DON'T GET BIG
ENOUGH TO BE A PROBLEM FOR A GOOD WEED WHIP. I HAVE A STILL COMMERCIAL
MODEL AND IT WOULD CUT THROUGH THEM LIKE BUTTER. BETTER START A NEW
COMPOST PILE OUTSIDE THE FENCE FOR THE VINES AS THEY WOULD NOT BE MUCH
FUN TO HAND HANDLE. HOPE THIS HELPS. PS - THINK THE METAL BARRIER
WOULD NOT HELP AND SINCE THE BLACKBERRY SPREADS FROM THE TIPS AND
ROOTS, THE TIPS WOULD JUST JUMP YOUR METAL BARRIER. REGARDS - JIM

Preventing spread of blackberries 1_Patriotic_Guy Gardening 1 13-05-2007 12:39 AM
Preventing spread of blackberries 1_Patriotic_Guy United Kingdom 2 12-05-2007 09:29 PM
Preventing Branches From Growing Back Ray Lawns 0 12-10-2003 01:32 PM
preventing rust. Me Roses 3 11-06-2003 03:44 PM
preventing apple scab Meindert de Jong Plant Science 0 29-04-2003 02:56 PM