Old 27-05-2007, 08:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Potatos through the year

Last Spring (September) I planted seed potatos which grew well and I
harvested in early summer (December). In one bed I got about 50 kg
(110lbs) of spuds whIch were carefully brushed and packed in boxes and
left in a cool, dry, dark place. We have been eating them as much as
possible but have only eaten a bit over half as there is only two of
us. Now the remainder are all sprouting. It is now late autumn,
coming on winter and I will try to keep some ready to plant next
Spring after the frost. However we are going waste quite a lot.

As I see it I have two problems.

1) My cool storage wasn't really that cool as summer is hot here and
even in the house it is typically 25 degrees C, up to 30 C (86F) which
has made the spuds sprout.

If I invest in another fridge and keep them cooler (say 15C, 50F) how
much better will they last?

2) Having only one crop per year makes for storage problems. I
understand that the rationale for the Spring crop is that it is after
the frost but in the milder weather so pests are less of a problem.

What would happen if I grew a second crop say from January to March,
when it is quite hot and sometimes humid?

David