GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/159358-home-gardening-becomes-even-more-imperative.html)

[email protected] 01-06-2007 05:01 AM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

In article ,
says...

Nope. It's just a small town in Indiana. I'm in the heart of town.
There's the post office, town hall, our only restaurant and four grain
silos. Oh, yeah, and the tornado siren. There are no stop signs/lights
on Main Street. I keep my horses in the heart of town and I can ride
them right to the door of the post office if I feel like it.

"HorseS" - plural? That sounds like it is the kind of town that
would only have one horse.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

FragileWarrior 01-06-2007 10:44 AM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

wrote in
:

In article ,
says...

Nope. It's just a small town in Indiana. I'm in the heart of town.
There's the post office, town hall, our only restaurant and four
grain silos. Oh, yeah, and the tornado siren. There are no stop
signs/lights on Main Street. I keep my horses in the heart of town
and I can ride them right to the door of the post office if I feel
like it.

"HorseS" - plural? That sounds like it is the kind of town that
would only have one horse.

Well, two of them can fit in my Neon so maybe it's like a one and 2/3 horse
town...

Cheryl Isaak 01-06-2007 11:33 AM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

On 5/31/07 3:02 PM, in article ,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" wrote in
6.121:

I hope you're wearing a helmet, my friend.

Always. And no jewelry either.

Michael

The first time I popped a helmet I had to return it for a new one and write
a story about what had happened so they could study it. I settled for
drawing a cartoon of Evil D'argo (complete with tiny, devil, horse-horns)
laughing maniacally as he sucked in his gut and spun his saddle -- and me
-- off on steep slope. I think I may even have had bounce lines to show my
trajectory down the hillside.

I'd love to see a copy of it!

FragileWarrior 01-06-2007 11:39 AM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 5/31/07 3:02 PM, in article
, "FragileWarrior"
wrote:

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" wrote in
6.121:

I hope you're wearing a helmet, my friend.

Always. And no jewelry either.

Michael

The first time I popped a helmet I had to return it for a new one and
write a story about what had happened so they could study it. I
settled for drawing a cartoon of Evil D'argo (complete with tiny,
devil, horse-horns) laughing maniacally as he sucked in his gut and
spun his saddle -- and me -- off on steep slope. I think I may even
have had bounce lines to show my trajectory down the hillside.

I'd love to see a copy of it!

Me, too. I didn't keep one. :(

Cheryl Isaak 01-06-2007 12:35 PM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

On 6/1/07 6:39 AM, in article ,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 5/31/07 3:02 PM, in article
, "FragileWarrior"
wrote:

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" wrote in
6.121:

I hope you're wearing a helmet, my friend.

Always. And no jewelry either.

Michael

The first time I popped a helmet I had to return it for a new one and
write a story about what had happened so they could study it. I
settled for drawing a cartoon of Evil D'argo (complete with tiny,
devil, horse-horns) laughing maniacally as he sucked in his gut and
spun his saddle -- and me -- off on steep slope. I think I may even
have had bounce lines to show my trajectory down the hillside.

I'd love to see a copy of it!

Me, too. I didn't keep one. :(

What did they say when you sent the cartoon in? It does sound funny.

FragileWarrior 01-06-2007 12:56 PM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:C2857CAE.69919%
:

On 6/1/07 6:39 AM, in article f3ot1c$cal$8

@blackhelicopter.databasix.com,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 5/31/07 3:02 PM, in article
, "FragileWarrior"
wrote:

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" wrote in
6.121:

I hope you're wearing a helmet, my friend.

Always. And no jewelry either.

Michael

The first time I popped a helmet I had to return it for a new one

and
write a story about what had happened so they could study it. I
settled for drawing a cartoon of Evil D'argo (complete with tiny,
devil, horse-horns) laughing maniacally as he sucked in his gut and
spun his saddle -- and me -- off on steep slope. I think I may even
have had bounce lines to show my trajectory down the hillside.

I'd love to see a copy of it!

Me, too. I didn't keep one. :(

What did they say when you sent the cartoon in? It does sound funny.

I thought it might make their day but they never acknowledged it. Maybe
they wanted more technical info. (Hey, that's all I could remember -- I
fell ON MY HEAD.) They did send me a new helmet but they're supposed to
do that anyway.

Cheryl Isaak 01-06-2007 01:46 PM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

On 6/1/07 7:56 AM, in article ,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:C2857CAE.69919%
:

On 6/1/07 6:39 AM, in article f3ot1c$cal$8

@blackhelicopter.databasix.com,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 5/31/07 3:02 PM, in article
, "FragileWarrior"
wrote:

[...]

I'll bet that someone posted in their cube.

Omelet 01-06-2007 02:52 PM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

In article ,
wrote:

the problem is, all carbon based fuels release CO2 when burned.

what we need is to break the hydrogen oxygen bond in water and then burn the
hydrogen
back to water. plants do this, they use solar energy to knock the hydrogen
off the
water, use the energy of the electrons to form a covalent bond (organic) that
stores
the energy (using CO2). That is really clean energy.

Ingrid

So invent the process and make it profitable.
You could be the next multi-billionaire...

:-)

It really is not that hard to make Hydrogen.
The trick is getting people to use it as a fuel, make it cost effective,
and SAFE.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Omelet 01-06-2007 02:54 PM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

In article
,
Bill Rose wrote:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but fossil fuel has been out of the
carbon cycle for a long time and is being reintroduced. Wood burned from
last year though is just going around and around in the carbon cycle. We
need to stop burning fossil fuel.

- Bill
Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

Absofrigginlootly! :-)

And guess what? It'd also drastically improve global air quality...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

[email protected] 01-06-2007 03:51 PM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

the algae and other plants that sucked up all the CO2, died and were buried is what
made the planet climates what they are now. There are already huge prizes being
offered for methods of sequestering CO2, essentially, CO2 scrubbers that remove CO2
from the air (CO2 is soluble in water), form a chemical reaction that removes it from
the water and then inject it back into those empty oil wells or whatever. Limestone
is calcium and magnesium carbonates, so it could also be used to make limestone
bricks to construct houses? problem is acid dissolves limestone.

and do it using non-polluting energy!!! like the sun or wind. Ingrid

Bill Rose wrote:
Not to put too fine a point on it, but fossil fuel has been out of the
carbon cycle for a long time and is being reintroduced. Wood burned from
last year though is just going around and around in the carbon cycle. We
need to stop burning fossil fuel.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

[email protected] 01-06-2007 04:08 PM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

I am not in the lab anymore.
up to this point mother nature has been fooling with the light reaction center in
plants that soak up the photon of energy and use it to break water (water is
typically broken by running electricity thru a platinum wire). Chlorophyll is the
best (so far) at doing this, but uses only blue and red light. It is the biotech
people will start fooling with the reaction centers of chloroplasts to stick them
into a synthetic membrane and/or make a better photon grabber. Maybe layer several
different reaction centers that absorb across the whole spectrum so they are more
efficient.

hook this up with some extremely high efficiency lights over the membranes (light the
flashlights that have a little generator in them) and no need for solar light. maybe
have the choice of cranking it up to get it started, or, a good battery.

Ingrid

wrote:
the problem is, all carbon based fuels release CO2 when burned.
what we need is to break the hydrogen oxygen bond in water and then burn the
hydrogen back to water. plants do this, they use solar energy to knock the hydrogen
off the water, use the energy of the electrons to form a covalent bond (organic) that
stores the energy (using CO2). That is really clean energy. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

Bill Rose 01-06-2007 07:00 PM

wrote:

the algae and other plants that sucked up all the CO2, died and were buried
is what
made the planet climates what they are now. There are already huge prizes
being
offered for methods of sequestering CO2, essentially, CO2 scrubbers that
remove CO2
from the air (CO2 is soluble in water), form a chemical reaction that removes
it from
the water and then inject it back into those empty oil wells or whatever.
Limestone
is calcium and magnesium carbonates, so it could also be used to make
limestone
bricks to construct houses? problem is acid dissolves limestone.

and do it using non-polluting energy!!! like the sun or wind. Ingrid

Yeah. You are right. But "bottom line" people will see that this costs
them money. They will be dragged to environmentalism, kicking and
screaming. Countries that don't clean-up will get more energy per pound
(gallon, whatever), which will put us at a disadvantage (so the spin
will go). The biggest bang for our buck that we can get RIGHT NOW is
conservation. The $10,000,000 the the knuckle head at 1600 Pennsylvania
Ave. wants (and sadly, so does Obama) to put into energy savings from
ethanol (which will be grown with petroleum) can be had for $3,000,000
and change by conservation.

The thing with fission power is (besides the massive problem of it's
waste, even in fast breeders) is that workers exposed to radiation pass
their injuries on to the following generations. If a coal miner gets
black lung, the injury dies with him. I know. It's a pretty cold
calculus.

If we could reduce CO2 and wait 30 years, there should be fusion
reactors which will be infinitely safer than coal or fission.

In the meantime conservation, water power (including tidal), wind power
and, photovoltaic could buy us time.

Bill Rose wrote:
Not to put too fine a point on it, but fossil fuel has been out of the
carbon cycle for a long time and is being reintroduced. Wood burned from
last year though is just going around and around in the carbon cycle. We
need to stop burning fossil fuel.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up:
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...s=Group+lookup
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

- Bill

jangchub 02-06-2007 02:46 AM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 08:52:36 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

So invent the process and make it profitable.
You could be the next multi-billionaire...

I know you may be kidding, but the problem IS money. There is no
reason why gas is costing what it does. Oil tycoons made record
profits the last three years in a row. It's disgusting, along with
the greed and every putrid thing about it, the desire for it, the
attachment to it,etc.

Omelet 02-06-2007 03:17 PM

wrote:

So invent the process and make it profitable.
You could be the next multi-billionaire...

I know you may be kidding, but the problem IS money.

Only half-way.
It really IS easy to make Hydrogen.
It's one of the most abundant elements in the universe.

The oil companies have a stranglehold on the economy.
They don't WANT alternative energy and he who has the gold makes the
rules. :-(

There is no
reason why gas is costing what it does. Oil tycoons made record
profits the last three years in a row.

Both true.

It's disgusting, along with
the greed and every putrid thing about it, the desire for it, the
attachment to it,etc.

You are preachin' to the choir. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Ann 02-06-2007 03:58 PM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

Omelet expounded:

You are preachin' to the choir. ;-)

Yep. I think there's lots of us, but the powers-that-be don't want to
hear us :o(
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Rachael Simpson 02-06-2007 04:07 PM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

"Ann" wrote in message
Omelet expounded:

You are preachin' to the choir. ;-)

Yep. I think there's lots of us, but the powers-that-be don't want to
hear us :o(
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
e-mail address is not checked
******************************

AMEN!

Omelet 02-06-2007 05:06 PM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Omelet expounded:

You are preachin' to the choir. ;-)

Yep. I think there's lots of us, but the powers-that-be don't want to
hear us :o(

They would if we could (somehow) quit buying gasoline,
but how many of us can do that?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

jangchub 02-06-2007 05:13 PM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 09:17:39 -0500, Omelet

You are preachin' to the choir. ;-)

I know!

jangchub 02-06-2007 05:15 PM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 10:58:50 -0400, Ann wrote:

Omelet expounded:

You are preachin' to the choir. ;-)

Yep. I think there's lots of us, but the powers-that-be don't want to
hear us :o(

There are a LOT more of us now than ever before. AT one time, even in
this newsgroup we were the minority. It is wonderful to see
American's finally waking up to the administration full of theft and
lies.

Bill Rose 02-06-2007 07:09 PM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

wrote:

So invent the process and make it profitable.
You could be the next multi-billionaire...

I know you may be kidding, but the problem IS money.

Only half-way.
It really IS easy to make Hydrogen.
It's one of the most abundant elements in the universe.

The oil companies have a stranglehold on the economy.
They don't WANT alternative energy and he who has the gold makes the
rules. :-(

There is no
reason why gas is costing what it does. Oil tycoons made record
profits the last three years in a row.

Both true.

It's disgusting, along with
the greed and every putrid thing about it, the desire for it, the
attachment to it,etc.

You are preachin' to the choir. ;-)

Two things though; (1) remember the Hindenberg (boom!) and, (2) the
First Law of Thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or
destroyed (beware of little black boxes).

It seems that electric motors fueled by wind, water, Sun (and Earth
bound fusion) and, perhaps conventional, central, power plants where CO2
can be scrubbed from the smoke stack are the answer.

Personally, I don't need to go from 0 mph to 60 mph in 4 sec. So there
may be some adaptations we need to make but I think we can live with
that.

- Bill(y)

Omelet 02-06-2007 07:50 PM

Bill Rose wrote:

It's disgusting, along with
the greed and every putrid thing about it, the desire for it, the
attachment to it,etc.

You are preachin' to the choir. ;-)

Two things though; (1) remember the Hindenberg (boom!) and, (2) the
First Law of Thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or
destroyed (beware of little black boxes).

It seems that electric motors fueled by wind, water, Sun (and Earth
bound fusion) and, perhaps conventional, central, power plants where CO2
can be scrubbed from the smoke stack are the answer.

Personally, I don't need to go from 0 mph to 60 mph in 4 sec. So there
may be some adaptations we need to make but I think we can live with
that.

- Bill(y)

I've lived with 4 cylinder engines all my life.

0-60 in 4 seconds?

Why? puzzled look
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Bill Rose 02-06-2007 11:07 PM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Bill Rose wrote:

[...]

It's a testosterone thing. Just put it in the pile of boy things that
you've never understood. For the most part, we don't understand them
either.

y(Bill)

jangchub 02-06-2007 11:10 PM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 11:09:47 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

Two things though; (1) remember the Hindenberg (boom!) and, (2) the
First Law of Thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or
destroyed (beware of little black boxes).

It seems that electric motors fueled by wind, water, Sun (and Earth
bound fusion) and, perhaps conventional, central, power plants where CO2
can be scrubbed from the smoke stack are the answer.

Personally, I don't need to go from 0 mph to 60 mph in 4 sec. So there
may be some adaptations we need to make but I think we can live with
that.

- Bill(y)

I don't remember the Hindenberg boom, but I'm in agreement with the
rest of your statements. We've known about this for fifty years. This
gas "crisis" is such a bunch of bullshit. I read a very funny phrase
in another forum about dubya. If people are sensitive to sexual
ideas, turn away now; someone's tag line was:

I wish somebody would blow him so we could start the impeachment
process.

I found that hysterically profound!

Now, why are the two most popular hybrids made by Japan? The Ford
doesn't live up to the hype, or so I've read. If we really wanted
vehicles which get 100 miles to a gallon of gas, we could do it. We
don't need speed boats.

Maybe coming up with localization is another good way to conserve.
Build communities which have all they need within walking or biking
distance. Especially in places like Texas where land is spread far
and wide...but that too is rapidly changing.

Eh, my knee hurts.

Omelet 02-06-2007 11:24 PM

Bill Rose wrote:

I've lived with 4 cylinder engines all my life.

0-60 in 4 seconds?

Why? puzzled look

It's a testosterone thing. Just put it in the pile of boy things that
you've never understood. For the most part, we don't understand them
either.

y(Bill)

lol ok, if you put it that way... ;-D
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Cheryl Isaak 03-06-2007 01:14 PM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

On 6/2/07 6:07 PM, in article
, "Bill
Rose" wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Bill Rose wrote:

[...]

It's not all testosterone - I've enjoyed my turns in the big engines/lots of
cylinder cars that have graced friends and family. A gas to drive, but not
everyday. It's sort of like roller coasters. Love them, but not a steady
diet of them.

Omelet 03-06-2007 02:42 PM

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I've lived with 4 cylinder engines all my life.

0-60 in 4 seconds?

Why? puzzled look

It's a testosterone thing. Just put it in the pile of boy things that
you've never understood. For the most part, we don't understand them
either.

y(Bill)

It's not all testosterone - I've enjoyed my turns in the big engines/lots of
cylinder cars that have graced friends and family. A gas to drive, but not
everyday. It's sort of like roller coasters. Love them, but not a steady
diet of them.

Ok, I can go along with that. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Cheryl Isaak 03-06-2007 05:11 PM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

On 6/3/07 9:42 AM, in article
, "Omelet"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I've lived with 4 cylinder engines all my life.

0-60 in 4 seconds?

Why? puzzled look

It's a testosterone thing. Just put it in the pile of boy things that
you've never understood. For the most part, we don't understand them
either.

y(Bill)

It's not all testosterone - I've enjoyed my turns in the big engines/lots of
cylinder cars that have graced friends and family. A gas to drive, but not
everyday. It's sort of like roller coasters. Love them, but not a steady
diet of them.

Ok, I can go along with that. :-)

I know lots of performance freaks. They all have much better mileage cars
for every day.

Cheryl

Bill Rose 03-06-2007 06:38 PM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 6/3/07 9:42 AM, in article
, "Omelet"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I've lived with 4 cylinder engines all my life.

0-60 in 4 seconds?

Why? puzzled look

It's a testosterone thing. Just put it in the pile of boy things that
you've never understood. For the most part, we don't understand them
either.

y(Bill)

It's not all testosterone - I've enjoyed my turns in the big engines/lots
of
cylinder cars that have graced friends and family. A gas to drive, but not
everyday. It's sort of like roller coasters. Love them, but not a steady
diet of them.

Ok, I can go along with that. :-)

I know lots of performance freaks. They all have much better mileage cars
for every day.

Cheryl

I was stunned once (more often than that actually but this was more like
surprised) to meet a Frenchman (in France) who loved his 25 mpg American
car because it had hydraulic valve lifters and required very little
maintenance. In 1990, it cost me $50 to fill my VW van in France. Last
week, it cost me $45.

The thing with driving a sling-shot (and risking the organism) is that
it seems to be an absolute requirement that they clock in at 110
decibels as well. I know about back pressure but these things seem
engineered to say "Hey, look at me". As my BP creeps up, all I see is a
target.

- Billy

Charlie[_2_] 04-06-2007 04:50 AM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 10:38:07 -0700, Bill Rose
wrote:

I was stunned once (more often than that actually but this was more like
surprised) to meet a Frenchman (in France) who loved his 25 mpg American
car because it had hydraulic valve lifters and required very little
maintenance. In 1990, it cost me $50 to fill my VW van in France. Last
week, it cost me $45.

Whaaaat? You are still driving a VW bus?

Ohhhhh.....the sweet memories!

Peace Brother
Charlie

Bill Rose 04-06-2007 05:16 AM

wrote:

I was stunned once (more often than that actually but this was more like
surprised) to meet a Frenchman (in France) who loved his 25 mpg American
car because it had hydraulic valve lifters and required very little
maintenance. In 1990, it cost me $50 to fill my VW van in France. Last
week, it cost me $45.

Whaaaat? You are still driving a VW bus?

Ohhhhh.....the sweet memories!

Peace Brother
Charlie

What can I say? When I work, it is mein schlaftwagon. During lunch I
take my nap. I work until I'm tired (2 P.M. or so) and then I take my
lunch (siesta, 25 min.) and then I'm good for another 6 hr. Why do you
think people have VW vans. Motel rooms on wheels for the first 20 yr.
Crash pads for the next 20 yr.

- Billy

FarmI 04-06-2007 08:29 AM

"Bill Rose" wrote in message

In 1990, it cost me $50 to fill my VW van in France. Last
week, it cost me $45.

Aaaah. A man with style. We just missed out buying one on the weekend. It
was a beauty. We've been looking for one for months. 1976, in immaculate
condition except that it needed a clutch adjustment. Sadly not to be.

[email protected] 04-06-2007 02:21 PM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

well.... we have one sports car, one gas efficient mazda and a trailer for when we
need to haul stuff instead of an SUV or van. we moved into the city and DH is now 1
mile from work, I am 5 miles. no more big commutes. we shop locally and I mostly
buy online so there arent a lot of shopping trips. we dont do "car" vacations and
long trips. our gasoline needs have really dropped. Ingrid

Omelet wrote:
They would if we could (somehow) quit buying gasoline,
but how many of us can do that?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

Omelet 04-06-2007 03:55 PM

wrote:

well.... we have one sports car, one gas efficient mazda and a trailer for
when we
need to haul stuff instead of an SUV or van. we moved into the city and DH
is now 1
mile from work, I am 5 miles. no more big commutes. we shop locally and I
mostly
buy online so there arent a lot of shopping trips. we dont do "car"
vacations and
long trips. our gasoline needs have really dropped. Ingrid

I can't move closer to work. It's not practical so I use close to 2
gallons per day during my commute.

But I make sure that I do most of my shopping on the way home from work
as a slightly different route will pass me thru town on the way home,
and shopping trips to Austin are severely limited.

I'm on vacation this week and won't be going anywhere. I have too much
to do here anyway. ;-)

I also shop by phone somewhat before going out so I can make just one
trip to one store.

I don't like to shop on line as credit card interest rates are too high
so I limit their use to what I can pay off each month.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Billy Rose 04-06-2007 05:50 PM

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Bill Rose" wrote in message

In 1990, it cost me $50 to fill my VW van in France. Last
week, it cost me $45.

Aaaah. A man with style. We just missed out buying one on the weekend. It
was a beauty. We've been looking for one for months. 1976, in immaculate
condition except that it needed a clutch adjustment. Sadly not to be.

Thanks for the kind words. I've always heard that those air cooled vans
had lots of problems. Not so? I've had lots of interests in my life but
cars were never one of them, until it broke.

The Westphalia was always my favorite. A person was always ready for a
picnic.

Take care,

Billy

Cheryl Isaak 04-06-2007 06:35 PM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

On 6/4/07 12:50 PM, in article
, "Billy
Rose" wrote:

In article
,

"Bill Rose" wrote in message

In 1990, it cost me $50 to fill my VW van in France. Last
week, it cost me $45.

Aaaah. A man with style. We just missed out buying one on the weekend. It
was a beauty. We've been looking for one for months. 1976, in immaculate
condition except that it needed a clutch adjustment. Sadly not to be.

Thanks for the kind words. I've always heard that those air cooled vans
had lots of problems. Not so? I've had lots of interests in my life but
cars were never one of them, until it broke.

I began interested in cars at a young age -14. Looking back, I think was the
car, not the guy that was my "first love". (a forest green 1969 Mustang
convertible)

The Westphalia was always my favorite. A person was always ready for a
picnic.

Those were fun. A girlfriend had one - crammed a lot of stuff or people or
both in to a few times.

Jan Flora 05-06-2007 01:15 PM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Get a debit card. No interest. We got one just for shopping online and
on ebay. (We don't believe in credit cards.)

Jan

--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.

Omelet 05-06-2007 02:55 PM

Jan Flora wrote:

I don't like to shop on line as credit card interest rates are too high
so I limit their use to what I can pay off each month.

Get a debit card. No interest. We got one just for shopping online and
on ebay. (We don't believe in credit cards.)

Jan

I do have a debit card.

It's not recommended that a debit card be used for on line purchases as
there is no way to recover the funds if there is a problem. Once the
money is gone, it's gone.

Credit card purchases have their own built in warantee.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Ann 05-06-2007 05:44 PM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

Omelet expounded:

I do have a debit card.

It's not recommended that a debit card be used for on line purchases as
there is no way to recover the funds if there is a problem. Once the
money is gone, it's gone.

Credit card purchases have their own built in warantee.

That depends. My debit card is a MasterCard, and it has all the
protection of a credit card. And I've had to use that protection in
the past, so I know it works.

Omelet 05-06-2007 05:49 PM

Ann wrote:

Omelet expounded:

I do have a debit card.

It's not recommended that a debit card be used for on line purchases as
there is no way to recover the funds if there is a problem. Once the
money is gone, it's gone.

Credit card purchases have their own built in warantee.

That depends. My debit card is a MasterCard, and it has all the
protection of a credit card. And I've had to use that protection in
the past, so I know it works.

Ok, that's good info, thanks!
My debit card is a visa.

I'll have to talk to my bank. I am new to debit cards.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Rachael Simpson 05-06-2007 06:01 PM

Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

"Omelet" wrote in message
In article ,
Ann wrote:

Omelet expounded:

I do have a debit card.

It's not recommended that a debit card be used for on line purchases as
there is no way to recover the funds if there is a problem. Once the
money is gone, it's gone.

Credit card purchases have their own built in warantee.

That depends. My debit card is a MasterCard, and it has all the
protection of a credit card. And I've had to use that protection in
the past, so I know it works.

Ok, that's good info, thanks!
My debit card is a visa.

I'll have to talk to my bank. I am new to debit cards.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack
Nicholson

Mine is has the visa logo also. Any debit cards with a major credit card
logo have the same perks as a credit without all the downfalls. or that's
the way it works around here anyway. definitely check with your bank - but
if you have the logo - you should be fine.

rae