Old 04-06-2007, 07:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Pigeons

writes:
"buster12" wrote in message
roups.com...
Is pigeon manure too strong to put in the compost heap?

Don't know. My brother has been raising and racing pigeons for 3 decades
now. He uses their feces on his lawn. Super green St. Augustine.
Dave

I would imagine it would be like chicken manure and needs to be aged
before putting it in the garden. In the compost heap, it will be aging as
well as mixing with everything else. By the time all of it is composted,
the pigeon manure would be aged. Seems it would be fine to put there,
perhaps even speed up the process. I can let you know next year (like
that will help now!) because I have one compost bin in which I'm mixing
chicken manure and "other compost" exclusively.

We are building a chicken house and the pen where I had the chickens
before was moved to a new location so the new house could go there. When
we excavated (hand and shovel type!), I saved all the dirt that was under
the roost and used it for starting soil this spring (that was from the
thumb sized plugs with commercial starting soil to full pots with this),
fantastic! I wish I had much, much more of it. Because the manure is
"hot" there were no "other" seeds that grew in the pots even though it was
really soil at that point. There would have been miscellaneous unwanteds
growing if I had mixed it with garden soil and then used it.

Then there is always "tea" that you could make, dilute it and use it.

Glenna

How to annoy the pigeons? Steve Harris United Kingdom 25 03-06-2018 07:37 AM
Wood pigeons K United Kingdom 18 05-02-2013 08:49 PM
Greedy Wood Pigeons Jupiter United Kingdom 28 13-05-2005 10:36 AM
Feed the birds - except pigeons! Paul D.Smith United Kingdom 13 11-02-2005 10:10 PM
Pigeons [email protected] United Kingdom 16 05-06-2003 09:19 AM