Old 06-06-2007, 07:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Interesting atricle

Ellen Goodman, a columnist at the Boston Globe, wrote an interesting
column last week. It started with the following.

"I DO NOT agree with Samuel Johnson that remarriage is the triumph of
hope over experience. That dubious triumph belongs to the gardener,
not the bride and groom."

She went on to talk about gardening and then the current state of
food. It seems that the food on our tables comes from an average of
1500 miles away and 85% of the cost of food is in the processing,
transportation, etc.

Here is a link to the complete column.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/edi.../oped/goodman/
--
Susan N.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
The Cook wrote:

Ellen Goodman, a columnist at the Boston Globe, wrote an interesting
column last week. It started with the following.

"I DO NOT agree with Samuel Johnson that remarriage is the triumph of
hope over experience. That dubious triumph belongs to the gardener,
not the bride and groom."

She went on to talk about gardening and then the current state of
food. It seems that the food on our tables comes from an average of
1500 miles away and 85% of the cost of food is in the processing,
transportation, etc.

Here is a link to the complete column.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/edi.../oped/goodman/

You should check Michael Pollard's "Omnivore's Dilemma" out of the
library and read the rip he lays on "organic". Since the government has
gotten involved things have gotten "curiouser and curiouser", to quote
Alice. Especially in the meat and dairy sector.

- Billy