Old 07-06-2007, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Rain barrel directions

writes:
(Glenna Rose) wrote in
news:fc.003d0941022a0c28003d0941022a0c28.22a0c2a@ pmug.org:

http://www.lakewhatcom.wsu.edu/garde...ters/04_08.htm

On this page, at the end of the second paragraph is a link to click on
for 2-page directions on how to make a rain barrel.

I purchase my barrels from a local food company that makes teriyaki
sauce so the barrels are food quality. Of course the rain water
collected may not be, but I know the barrels are.

1. Buy barrel.
2. Direct water from downspout into barrel.
3. Use water.

2 pages?

The directions give details as to how to drill the hole(s), connect the
fittings, link the barrels. etc. The second link posted today shows
different stacking methods and linking methods as well as how some have
connected the downspout with overflows, etc.

http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/compost/rainbarrel.htm

Puckdropper, your directions are accurate though a bit incomplete; surely
we all got that far, but there is a bit more when one goes to actually do
it. Questions might be: How to get the water into the barrel, how to get
it out of the barrel, etc. Maybe even how to attach a spigot to the
barrel. Some like to see different methods and determine which might be
better for their use.

The two pages have detailed photographs of the fittings and how to install
them. For those who already have plumbing experience, they are unneeded,
but not all of us do. On the pages (today and yesterday) are also
details as how to attach the spigot into a closed barrel. Also a reminder
about the mosquito issue and other suggestions.

I apologize if I offended you by considering that someone might want
specific directions. Since my own plan for this was changed after
viewing the pages, it seemed logical that others might be interested in
seeing some methods used.

Personally, when someone says they make their own tomato cages, I like
more details to see if their methods might be better than what I use.

Glenna

BTW, the first rain barrel page was designed to be a tri-fold brochure,
undoubted given out at fairs, etc., hence large photos and specifics.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

(Glenna Rose) wrote in
news:fc.003d0941022a128c003d0941022a0c28.22a12da@p mug.org:

writes:
[...]

I see... You're not just collecting rain water and dumping the watering
can in the barrel when you want to water plants, you're doing things like
drainage and irrigation.

I apologize if I offended you by considering that someone might want
specific directions. Since my own plan for this was changed after
viewing the pages, it seemed logical that others might be interested
in seeing some methods used.

When I read your first post, it sounded to me like an advertisement. I
didn't immediately recongize your name, so my reply was rather terse.

Personally, when someone says they make their own tomato cages, I like
more details to see if their methods might be better than what I use.

Glenna

BTW, the first rain barrel page was designed to be a tri-fold
brochure, undoubted given out at fairs, etc., hence large photos and
specifics.

Puckdropper