Old 08-06-2007, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Rain barrel directions

writes:
In article ews.net,
Puckdropper wrote:

(Glenna Rose) wrote in
news:fc.003d0941022a0c28003d0941022a0c28.22a0c2a@p mug.org:

http://www.lakewhatcom.wsu.edu/garde...ters/04_08.htm

On this page, at the end of the second paragraph is a link to click on
for 2-page directions on how to make a rain barrel.

I purchase my barrels from a local food company that makes teriyaki
sauce so the barrels are food quality. Of course the rain water
collected may not be, but I know the barrels are.

1. Buy barrel.
2. Direct water from downspout into barrel.
3. Use water.

2 pages?

On "This Old House" they showed a rainbarrel with a
hose spigot near the bottom, so the owner could hook
up a drip system to it. Cool idea!

Jan

Yes, I saw that show, also (actually "Ask This Old House"). One of the
pages on the second web site I posted
(http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/compost/rainbarrel.htm) has a link to a
photograph of that type of overflow but didn't give specific directions
though I'll bet they have it on the "Ask This Old House" web page. When I
get that far, I'll be looking for it if the photo and my local plumbing
store don't have enough info for it.

That second page has a link to a page where one of the people painted her
barrel to match her house siding. Another barrel was painted by an artist
and sold at auction as a fund raiser. Those that I put in the garden will
likely be painted like green grass with my granddaughters (6 & 8) drawing
flowers on them. I stopped searching after I found that web site but I'll
bet there are many dozens of more ideas of how to use the barrels
practically and attractively.

The pages give directions for attaching the hose bib; but the WSU person I
spoke with yesterday, uses JB-Weld (sp?) to fasten the hose bib rather the
directions for otherwise. I'll let you know which way I decide is best
for the barrels I use.

There is a gentleman in Portland who waters his tomato plants from
barrels, fills the barrels and lets the water warm; the warmer water
encourages even greater growth and a larger crop.

Glenna