Old 15-07-2007, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default walnut seedlings

Walnut seedlings started last fall from seeds initially produced a lot
of growth but over the winter they sat and did nothing. Over the
spring and summer they have so far failed to sprout new growth. Their
leaves are gradually dying but the trunks seem to be in great shape.
The parent tree grows in a mild coastal climate so I don't expect they
need a cold dormancy period. Indoor temps are 15 to 20 deg warmer
than outdoor in winter. Does this sound like a cold dormancy issue?
Are these seedlings stressed as a result? Should I try to induce
dormancy?

Old 16-07-2007, 07:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 11:40:45 -0700, rtdrury
wrote:

Walnut seedlings started last fall from seeds initially produced a lot
of growth but over the winter they sat and did nothing. Over the
spring and summer they have so far failed to sprout new growth. Their
leaves are gradually dying but the trunks seem to be in great shape.
The parent tree grows in a mild coastal climate so I don't expect they
need a cold dormancy period. Indoor temps are 15 to 20 deg warmer
than outdoor in winter. Does this sound like a cold dormancy issue?
Are these seedlings stressed as a result? Should I try to induce
dormancy?

It's a deciduous issue. The daylight hours and the temperature tell
the tree when to do its thing.