Old 27-07-2007, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Marigolds deter Rabbits?

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 14:53:34 -0400, "Tim"
wrote:

I've been told that Marigolds planted around a garden will keep rabbits out.
Has anyone had any experience with this? Confirm or debunk?

Thanks,

Tim
S.New Jersey

Marigolds won't work.
..22 LRHP will.

Ross
Old 27-07-2007, 03:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article , Charlie wrote:

*SNIP*

Just depends upon yer situation. ;-)

Charlie.....who detests vermin infested, diseased, destructive, Hoppy
Rats in HisSpace.

*SNIP AGAIN*

Just DO eat the bunnies if you are going to shoot them? I'm sure that
many of us can post recipes.

thought it was ironic, my son is watching his veggie tales silly songs
dvd, "do the moo shoo" and while I'm reading this part of the thread
this song comes on:

the bunny song:

"Mr. Nezzer: The bunny, the bunny, oh, I ate the bunny
I didn't eat my soup or my bread, just the bunny
The bunny, the bunny, oh, I ate the bunny
And now I'm feelin' sick in the head from the bunny.
I didn't eat my salad, I didn't eat my steak
I had too much candy, got a tummy ache!
I need to eat good food to help me to grow
I'll obey my momma, 'cause she loves me so!

Yeah, I'll go to church! And I'll go to school!
That stuff is important, and I ain't no fool!

Asparagus singers: I don't want no pickles, I don't want no honey
I just want a plate and a fork and a bunny!
I don't want to tell you a joke that is funny
I just want a plate and a fork and a bunny!
I don't want a tissue when my nose is runny
I just want a plate and a fork and a bunny!
I don't want to play on a day that is sunny
I just want a plate and a fork and a bunny!

Mr. Nezzer: The bunny, the bunny, oh, I ate the bunny
I didn't eat my soup or my bread, just the bunny
The bunny, the bunny, oh, I ate the bunny
And now I'm feelin' sick in the head from the bunny."

how appropriate....lol
Old 27-07-2007, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

snipped for space

Mr. Nezzer: The bunny, the bunny, oh, I ate the bunny
I didn't eat my soup or my bread, just the bunny
The bunny, the bunny, oh, I ate the bunny
And now I'm feelin' sick in the head from the bunny."

how appropriate....lol

Coincidence can indeed be amusing sometimes. ;-D
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 27-07-2007, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:27:32 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 21:22:00 -0400, wrote:

.22 LRHP will.

Sure will! Great choice if suitable for conditions.

RWS model 48 or Gamo hunter 220.....both .177, 1100 fps, or any other
*real* air rifle.

Cheap, safer than .22, effective as all get out......and *quiet*!

Just depends upon yer situation. ;-)

Charlie.....who detests vermin infested, diseased, destructive, Hoppy
Rats in HisSpace.

I'll second the recommend for a GOOD air rifle. No way can I use a .22
here as there are no firearm discharges in the city limits.

If you were in Canada, a "good" air rifle or pistol would be
considered a "firearm", i.e any air gun with a muzzle velocity greater
than 152.4 m/sec (approx. 500 fps).

Just DO eat the bunnies if you are going to shoot them? I'm sure that
many of us can post recipes.

I have lots of delicious recipes using rabbit.
We raised rabbits commercially for years (New Zealand Whites) and also
enjoyed them at table.
I wouldn't even consider eating a wild rabbit. Too many parasites,
viral and bacterial diseases including tularemia. Have you ever seen
the liver out of a wild rabbit? All those little white spots. Not on
my plate thanks.

Ross.

Old 27-07-2007, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

I have lots of delicious recipes using rabbit.
We raised rabbits commercially for years (New Zealand Whites) and also
enjoyed them at table.
I wouldn't even consider eating a wild rabbit. Too many parasites,
viral and bacterial diseases including tularemia. Have you ever seen
the liver out of a wild rabbit? All those little white spots. Not on
my plate thanks.

Ross.

Um, I believe I posted to check the liver.
Dad NEVER ate bunny with liver spots. That was one of our checks for
diseased carcasses.

Only rabbits with healthy livers were consumed.

They were in the minority.
--

That was worded badly.
I meant that diseased bunnies were rare...

Sorry!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 27-07-2007, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Charlie.....who detests vermin infested, diseased, destructive, Hoppy
Rats in HisSpace.

I'll second the recommend for a GOOD air rifle. No way can I use a .22
here as there are no firearm discharges in the city limits.

Just DO eat the bunnies if you are going to shoot them? I'm sure that
many of us can post recipes.

I'm with Ross on the rabbit issue. I won't eat them, though they are
not wasted. A short walk, which I do anyway, and they are offered to
the coyotes. They have never refused my gift. ;-)

Charlie

Okay, whatever works!
They would rot here as there are no local coyotes, but rabbits, to date,
have never been a problem for me.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 27-07-2007, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 11:52:06 -0500, Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 11:24:55 -0400, wrote:

Unfortunately, here in Canada, thanks to our previous Liberal
government, if I want to acquire a "real" air rifle nowadays I'd have
to renew my Firearms Acquisition Certificate and then register it.
Any air rifle with a muzzle velocity greater than 152.4 m/sec.
(approx. 500 fps) would fall into the same category as if I was to buy
a .460 Weatherby Magnum.

Ross.

I assume that your Firearms Acquisition Certificate is similar to our
Insta-Check system, wherein a background check is run through various,
including FBI, databases. There is no registration, per se, though who
are we kidding, there is always a paper trail.

I am also assuming that, by registering your *firearm*, any private
sales are subject to the same criteria? Like it is with handguns, at
least in the state in which I live. No registration of handguns, but
a Permit to Purchase and background check, through local, state and
federal databases. Private sales of long guns are not subject to
checks.

Care
Charlie

Our system is quite a bit different. For one thing, it is certainly
not an "Insta-Check". After you have taken a course in safe firearm
handling, or have proven you have sufficient knowledge of the subject
you can apply for a FAC. Initial cost is $25.00 and there is at least
a 28 day waiting period. A FAC is good for 5 years and there is a
$50.00 renewal fee if you renew before the current one expires.
You need a FAC to buy, borrow, trade or receive a firearm as a gift.
If you're interested, there's a synopsis at
http://tinyurl.com/2r63o8
All this is supposed to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals.
Just make sure you pay your fee and have your application in at least
a month before you intend to rob that bank.

Ross.