Old 29-07-2007, 04:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Re(2): Why do ripe fruits -- especially when canned -- smell bad? -- excluding ap

writes:

"Radium" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi:

I know I've brought this subject up before but I just can't get over
it. I apologize profusely to those who might be annoyed. You may
notice some changes though.

I notice that many fruits [excluding apples & cantaloupes] emit foul
odors when ripe. What chemicals are responsible for this? I've done as
much research as I can on this but not gotten anywhere. This isn't a
homework assignment. I am asking these questions out of personal
interest.

Assuming that you are serious about this, and I suspect that you have been
told before, your reaction is an individual one. Quite obviously smell is
subjetcive to a degree although for many smells people frequently agree if
they are attractive or not.

If you are genuine about finding out why you have this reaction I would
try
sniffing as many categories or chemicals as you can get your hands on.
There is no point in listing them here as clearly most people are not
going
to share your reaction and so we cannot give any clue whcih type(s) it
might
be. You will have to identify them yourself. When you have found out
whcih types you have the reaction to then it may be of some value
comparing
them by name with the reaction that most people have or looking further
into
why this should be so.

David

My question is: Who cans canteloupe?