Old 05-08-2007, 06:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default man arrested for compost pile

writes:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 8/5/07 1:22 AM, in article
,
" wrote:

In article ,
says...
did y'all hear about this?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...anure,0,881138
.story

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=10117

Florida Man Arrested for Illegally Composting Horse Manure
by: Erin Ryder, News Editor
August 01 2007 Article # 10117

A Loxahatchee Groves, Fla., man has been arrested by authorities with
the Florida Department of Environmental Protection because he had
allegedly collected around 20,000 cubic yards of horse manure, the

South
Florida Sun-Sentinel reported.

You wanna have your drinking water supply - well or stream -
downhill from that?

Hell no, but surely you can see the funny side!

my question is: if he's in jail, then who had to clean up the mess?? I
sure wouldn't want that job. Another news report on it said that it
would take at least 10 farm (dump) trucks to haul it off. These articles
said some of the piles were 15 foot high....don't you know that's a mess
to have to load up? AVALANCHE!!! lol

g Well, if they just leave it, the "problem" will correct itselt. Can
you imagine how many earthworms would be working away in there by the end
of a year or two? Bet they would number in the millions. And the soil
five years from now would be beyond anything we usually have in our own
gardens.

Wonder if the guy ever hear of the expression, "Too much of a good thing
.... "

Tell you though, I really question the "15 feet high" claim, maybe piles
of that diameter, but he likely didn't drive up on it to dump it off the
edge for piles that high. Also, my observation from having had a dump
truck of steer manure delivered is if ten trucks can haul it off, it
really wasn't that much. My "regular" garden area is about 30 by 60; it
would take at least five dump truck loads to cover that two feet deep so
it appears that something is wrong with their reporting. But, of course,
reporters never get anything wrong! A report here said "newspapers
stacked within three feet of the ceiling" in an attempt to make the man
look bad, three feet from a 7-foot ceiling is considerably different than
three feet from a vaulted ceiling - real exact reporting that was.

My question is, what was the guy planning to do with all that manure?
Maybe he was preparing a statement to deliver to their local governing
agency about something? One can wonder. It is Florida, after all. g

Glenna

Old 05-08-2007, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article fc.003d0941022e0acc3b9aca00241ef8a7.22e0ae2@pmug. org,
(Glenna Rose) wrote:

writes:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 8/5/07 1:22 AM, in article
,
" wrote:

[...]

... "

[...]

Maybe he was going to leave it "in memorial" of the Bush Administration.
--
FB - FFF

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/