Old 05-08-2007, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default man arrested for compost pile

did y'all hear about this?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...0,881138.story

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=10117

Florida Man Arrested for Illegally Composting Horse Manure
by: Erin Ryder, News Editor
August 01 2007 Article # 10117

A Loxahatchee Groves, Fla., man has been arrested by authorities with
the Florida Department of Environmental Protection because he had
allegedly collected around 20,000 cubic yards of horse manure, the South
Florida Sun-Sentinel reported.

Agents said the man, Walter Duque, accepted horse manure for composting.
Permits to compost or store manure are required by state law, and
approved facilities are inspected to ensure no laws protecting
groundwater are being broken, the Sun-Sentinel reported.

According to the report, Duque had mounds of manure covering several
acres of his property. Some piles were 15 feet tall.

Neighbors complaining of the smell tipped off the authorities, who gave
Duque three misdemeanor citations. His penalties could include $30,000
in fines and up to 18 months in jail, the Sun-Sentinel reported.

article by the Sun-Sentinel:

Loxahatchee Groves man arrested for illegally stockpiling horse manure
By Joel Hood | South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Law enforcement officers with the Florida Department of Environmental
Protection have arrested a Loxahatchee Groves man for illegally
stockpiling about 20,000 cubic yards of horse manure on his property.
Walter Duque received three misdemeanor citations for the violations,
which could result in up to 18 months in jail and $30,000 in fines.

"Environmental crimes, like illegal composting and manure storage, can
potentially harm our natural resources and impact our quality of life,
and will not be tolerated," said Henry Barnet, director of the agency's
law enforcement division, said in a released statement. "Enforcing
Florida's laws, particularly those that protect our environment, is an
important part of DEP's mission."

Agents began investigating Duque after receiving complaints from
neighbors about growing piles of manure on his property and the foul
odors wafting through the neighborhood. Investigators suspect the man
has been accepting loads of horse manure from nearby communities and
illegally composting the waste without permits. Mounds of manure as tall
as 15 feet covered several acres on the property.

The state requires special permits for composting and storing horse
manure. Those permits require specific nutrient and stormwater
management plans to help protect ground and surface water. Composting
facilities are also inspected regularly to ensure compliance with all
state laws.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:03 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

When I first spotted that on Yahoo (weird news), I had wondered if it was
any of my daylily hybridizing buddies of yore.

There surely defines a heap of sh*t.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:22 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
says...
did y'all hear about this?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...0,881138.story

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=10117

Florida Man Arrested for Illegally Composting Horse Manure
by: Erin Ryder, News Editor
August 01 2007 Article # 10117

A Loxahatchee Groves, Fla., man has been arrested by authorities with
the Florida Department of Environmental Protection because he had
allegedly collected around 20,000 cubic yards of horse manure, the South
Florida Sun-Sentinel reported.

You wanna have your drinking water supply - well or stream -
downhill from that?

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
Old 05-08-2007, 01:12 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On 8/5/07 1:22 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

In article ,
says...
did y'all hear about this?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...anure,0,881138
.story

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=10117

Florida Man Arrested for Illegally Composting Horse Manure
by: Erin Ryder, News Editor
August 01 2007 Article # 10117

A Loxahatchee Groves, Fla., man has been arrested by authorities with
the Florida Department of Environmental Protection because he had
allegedly collected around 20,000 cubic yards of horse manure, the South
Florida Sun-Sentinel reported.

You wanna have your drinking water supply - well or stream -
downhill from that?

Hell no, but surely you can see the funny side!

Old 05-08-2007, 01:39 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 8/5/07 1:22 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

In article ,
says...
did y'all hear about this?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...anure,0,881138
.story

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=10117

Florida Man Arrested for Illegally Composting Horse Manure
by: Erin Ryder, News Editor
August 01 2007 Article # 10117

A Loxahatchee Groves, Fla., man has been arrested by authorities with
the Florida Department of Environmental Protection because he had
allegedly collected around 20,000 cubic yards of horse manure, the South
Florida Sun-Sentinel reported.

You wanna have your drinking water supply - well or stream -
downhill from that?

Hell no, but surely you can see the funny side!

my question is: if he's in jail, then who had to clean up the mess?? I
sure wouldn't want that job. Another news report on it said that it
would take at least 10 farm (dump) trucks to haul it off. These articles
said some of the piles were 15 foot high....don't you know that's a mess
to have to load up? AVALANCHE!!! lol

Old 05-08-2007, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"rachael simpson" wrote in message
did y'all hear about this?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...0,881138.story

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=10117

Florida Man Arrested for Illegally Composting Horse Manure
by: Erin Ryder, News Editor
August 01 2007 Article # 10117

A Loxahatchee Groves, Fla., man has been arrested by authorities with the
Florida Department of Environmental Protection because he had allegedly
collected around 20,000 cubic yards of horse manure, the South Florida
Sun-Sentinel reported.

Good. If the idiot had simply read a grownup newspaper perhaps once every
week for the past 10 years, he might've noticed steps that many hog farmers
now have to take, in order to compost manure without turning it into a
public hazard because of the quantitites concentrated in one place.

Idiots *should* be arrested and made to feel financial pain.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
[...]

"Hog farmers". How does one plant a hog?
'
Dave

Old 05-08-2007, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Hey....that's what I've heard them call themselves.

I think I'd try rooting cuttings, if I were raising hogs.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

rachael simpson wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 8/5/07 1:22 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

[...]

"At least 10 dump trucks" is a lot less than 20000 cubic yards. A
standard dump truck holds 6 cubic yards, and the big ones hold 12. So
maybe he had 100 yards of it.

I would get 2 or 3 yards of horse manure if I could, just for my little
garden. It doesn't stink nearly as bad as pig or chicken.

Bob
Old 05-08-2007, 10:34 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

zxcvbob wrote in
:

rachael simpson wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 8/5/07 1:22 AM, in article
,
" wrote:

In article ,
says...
did y'all hear about this?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...0801horsemanur
[...]

Depends on the freshness of it. If it's fresh and in large amounts, it
can be pretty funky. Still better than chicken or pig, true, but I
happen to like horses and everything about them -- even the smell of
their shi... er... manure.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

rachael simpson wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 8/5/07 1:22 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

In article ,
says...
did y'all hear about this?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...rsemanure,0,88
[...]

I've had 20 loads of wood chips in the last six month. One neighbor
suggested I was causing the area to look amiss. I said GF.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 06-08-2007, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

zxcvbob wrote:
rachael simpson wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 8/5/07 1:22 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I get that. I know the numbers don't add up...I deal with horse
manure, and I deal with farm dump trucks. I know what the trucks hold. I
also wonder how he got it to be the reported 15 ft high... Here's
another article, this one reports that it would fill 1,000 trucks (can
we ever believe what is reported these days?! lol):
Man accused keeping a 15-foot manure pile faces jail
By KELLY WOLFE
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

LOXAHATCHEE GROVES — A Loxahatchee Groves man faces 18 months in jail
and $30,000 in fines for storing 15-feet of manure on his Loxahatchee
property, said the Florida Department of Environmental Protection
Wednesday. Walter Duque was arrested and charged with one count of
processing solid waste without a permit, one count of operating a
compost facility without a permit, and one count of illegal siting of a
solid waste facility. Those are each misdeamenors carrying a $10,000
fine and six months in jail.

The DEP received complaints about Duque's manure pile in 2002. Duque was
told to get the required permits from the Palm Beach County Health
Department. But he didn't, said Stephen Webster, a spokesman with the
DEP. DEP agents discovered 20,000 cubic yards of manure of Duque's
property — enough to fill 1,000 dump trucks, Webster said.

DEP requires special permits for composting and storing horse manure.
Those permits require specific nutrient and stormwater management plans
to help protect ground and surface water. Composting facilities are also
inspected regularly by DEP to ensure compliance with all state laws.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/co...svc=7&cxcat=73

What you reckon the government will do with it once it's cleaned up?
Sell it for profits, trash pile (waste management), or give it to some
big name ag company?
Old 06-08-2007, 05:13 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

rachael simpson wrote:

What you reckon the government will do with it once it's cleaned up?
Sell it for profits, trash pile (waste management), or give it to some
big name ag company?

Probably incinerate it (as expensively as possible) or send it to a
landfill -- and then try to send Mr. Duque the bill for it.

Bob
Old 06-08-2007, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

zxcvbob expounded:

I would get 2 or 3 yards of horse manure if I could, just for my little
garden. It doesn't stink nearly as bad as pig or chicken.

Too many weed seeds in horse manure, they don't ruminate. Stick to
cow manure. Chicken is great provided it's well-composted. Pig
manure? Yuck!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 06-08-2007, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Ann wrote in news:251eb3dbolvcbt8jm3mm7vnvh69olqi8op@
4ax.com:

zxcvbob expounded:

I would get 2 or 3 yards of horse manure if I could, just for my little
garden. It doesn't stink nearly as bad as pig or chicken.

Too many weed seeds in horse manure, they don't ruminate. Stick to
cow manure.

On the other hand, my draft nicely planted flax in the pasture for me
before I realized I had to grind his daily dose of Omega3.