Old 15-08-2007, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Rocks on top of a plant pot

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"Dave" wrote:

Gravel or similar rocks
are better off on the bottom to help prevent toppling over.

Or some lead bars. (A really good idea actually if it's not an edible).

If you want to try THAT solution, e-mail me.
I might be able to help you get free lead if you want to work for it.

Is dispersing lead into the environment a good idea?
--
FB - FFF

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 15-08-2007, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"Dave" wrote:

Gravel or similar rocks
are better off on the bottom to help prevent toppling over.

Or some lead bars. (A really good idea actually if it's not an edible).

If you want to try THAT solution, e-mail me.
I might be able to help you get free lead if you want to work for it.

Is dispersing lead into the environment a good idea?

Solidified bar lead is not much of a hazard, especially if you bother to
seal it.

Which I would.

I can collect literally tons of it from my local range hint
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 15-08-2007, 07:02 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"Dave" wrote:

Gravel or similar rocks
are better off on the bottom to help prevent toppling over.

Or some lead bars. (A really good idea actually if it's not an edible).

If you want to try THAT solution, e-mail me.
I might be able to help you get free lead if you want to work for it.

Is dispersing lead into the environment a good idea?

Solidified bar lead is not much of a hazard, especially if you bother to
seal it.

Which I would.

I can collect literally tons of it from my local range hint

Unfortunately, it's not magnetic. How do you collect it? Sieve? Back in
the day, there was just an earthen berm behind the targets. Lost my
taste for blood. Now, I just trust to my varmint gun, 12 gauge.

Old 15-08-2007, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

Is dispersing lead into the environment a good idea?

Solidified bar lead is not much of a hazard, especially if you bother to
seal it.

Which I would.

I can collect literally tons of it from my local range hint

Unfortunately, it's not magnetic. How do you collect it? Sieve?

By hand. It's good exercise and I can collect about 100 lbs. with
roughly 8 hours work and that was not steady picking. (The hill country
is pretty at sunrise). Never underestimate the poundage of lead in a
very old pistol berm. And a LOT of it is exposed.

I've not check out the rifle berms yet. I'm waiting for cooler weather.
And I have to get there before the bench shooters check in. g

I actually have considered a shovel and re-sieving it at home with the
hose but then I'd want to pick a LOT of the rocks out before doing the
melting. I'm well aware rocks will float to the top of liquid lead, but
still...

Back in
the day, there was just an earthen berm behind the targets. Lost my
taste for blood. Now, I just trust to my varmint gun, 12 gauge.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

There is no blood in paper targets using a 9mm or a .40. ;-)
Or a .22 if you want to conserve $$$.

Never underestimate the lead harvestability in that berm.
And you are doing momma Earth a favor.

I use an outdoor range too.

And they don't give a rats ass if I pick up lead as long as I'm not
interfering with shooters.

Get there early. ;-)

I have an annual membership.

Sunrise, breakfast taco, early morning songbirds, talk radio...

sigh I'll be glad when summer is over.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 15-08-2007, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

Omelet expounded:

By hand. It's good exercise and I can collect about 100 lbs. with
roughly 8 hours work and that was not steady picking. (The hill country
is pretty at sunrise). Never underestimate the poundage of lead in a
very old pistol berm. And a LOT of it is exposed.

You collecting lead to cast your own bullets? Or just because it's a
good thing to do?
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 15-08-2007, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Omelet expounded:

By hand. It's good exercise and I can collect about 100 lbs. with
roughly 8 hours work and that was not steady picking. (The hill country
is pretty at sunrise). Never underestimate the poundage of lead in a
very old pistol berm. And a LOT of it is exposed.

You collecting lead to cast your own bullets? Or just because it's a
good thing to do?

3 reasons (4 actually):

Casting my own bullets to save money

Current money value of the lead alloy for resale if I cast it into bars
for resale (which I have not done yet)

Removing it from the berms as a benefit to our universal mom

Oh, and it's good exercise and works up a sweat.

It's a win-win activity. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 15-08-2007, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Sunrise, breakfast taco, early morning songbirds, talk radio...

sigh I'll be glad when summer is over.

Sunrise, breakfast taco and beer, early morning songbirds, sounds good
to me but, talk radio? I think I'd even pass up Amy Goodman for song
birds, real song birds and breakfast beer. Some birding site I went to
had (what appear to be very blue) jays described as song birds!!?
Uh-huh, yeah, sure, right. Ours squawk. I trust yours are more melodic.

It seems strange to me that I was wandering around in the alfalfa fields
and drainage ditches of southern California with a .22 at the age of
five. My killin' fields are wall to wall housing tracts now. Once there
were rabbits, pheasants, and lots of other unlucky critters that
happened upon a boy with a gun.

I'm content now with just the smell of gun oil, when I do periodic
maintenance. The only thing I shoot off now is my mouth.

Glad when summer is over? You lost your mind girl? Get in out'en the
Sun. My understanding of Texas is when it stops being boiling hot, it
commences to freeze over or it is duck and cover season for hurricanes.
Why would anyone want summer to be over? That's just plain crazy.

Well, time to go plant some more salad. We got company and we're rippin'
through it pretty darned fast. Think I'll look in and see how my
breakfast beer provisions are holding up.

Ciao

Old 16-08-2007, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Sunrise, breakfast taco, early morning songbirds, talk radio...

sigh I'll be glad when summer is over.

Sunrise, breakfast taco and beer, early morning songbirds, sounds good
to me but, talk radio? I think I'd even pass up Amy Goodman for song
birds, real song birds and breakfast beer. Some birding site I went to
had (what appear to be very blue) jays described as song birds!!?
Uh-huh, yeah, sure, right. Ours squawk. I trust yours are more melodic.

Mostly Mockingbirds actually. :-)
WOAI is usually pretty entertaining.

I just keep it low so I can hear the birds. Once I'm done eating and get
out of the truck, the radio goes OFF.

It seems strange to me that I was wandering around in the alfalfa fields
and drainage ditches of southern California with a .22 at the age of
five. My killin' fields are wall to wall housing tracts now. Once there
were rabbits, pheasants, and lots of other unlucky critters that
happened upon a boy with a gun.

Bummer. :-( I can still nail squirrels around here and Deer graze across
the street, but those are safe as I AM within city limits. A BB gun is
all I can get away with and after looking it up, the city has an
ordinance against those too, AND SLING SHOTS!!! :-P

I don't see many rabbits tho'.
Fire Ants have done hit point damage to the Bobwhite quail population
too.

I'm content now with just the smell of gun oil, when I do periodic
maintenance. The only thing I shoot off now is my mouth.

Mmm... Gun oil... Makes a good perfume. G (just kidding, but I have no
objections to that smell).

Why don't you shoot any more? Target Practice is a good personal
challenge.

Glad when summer is over? You lost your mind girl? Get in out'en the
Sun. My understanding of Texas is when it stops being boiling hot, it
commences to freeze over or it is duck and cover season for hurricanes.
Why would anyone want summer to be over? That's just plain crazy.

Not true! This past, cool spring was wonderful and Fall is fantastic.
You are seriously mistaken about South/Central Hill Country weather.
Winters are fairly short and only intense a month or two out of the year.

Well, time to go plant some more salad. We got company and we're rippin'
through it pretty darned fast. Think I'll look in and see how my
breakfast beer provisions are holding up.

Ciao

Broccoli and Chard do well here in the Winter. I might try Cauliflower
this year too.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 16-08-2007, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On Aug 15, 1:29 pm, Omelet wrote:

I actually have considered a shovel and re-sieving it at home with the
hose but then I'd want to pick a LOT of the rocks out before doing the
melting. I'm well aware rocks will float to the top of liquid lead, but
still...

I really hope that was humor ( the printed word lacks tone).
Depending on their composition, rocks in molten lead can become small
grenades, with nasty effects.
We need all the gardeners we can get.

cheers

oz, exhausted from the heat: 104 on the deck today.

Old 16-08-2007, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article .com,
MajorOz wrote:

On Aug 15, 1:29 pm, Omelet wrote:

I actually have considered a shovel and re-sieving it at home with the
hose but then I'd want to pick a LOT of the rocks out before doing the
melting. I'm well aware rocks will float to the top of liquid lead, but
still...

I really hope that was humor ( the printed word lacks tone).
Depending on their composition, rocks in molten lead can become small
grenades, with nasty effects.
We need all the gardeners we can get.

cheers

oz, exhausted from the heat: 104 on the deck today.

lol It's why I prefer to remove them! They will only do that if they
have some water content.

Sand and dirt tho' do float to the top.

And yes, it was humor which is why it was worded the way it was.
I hope to gods anyone that is planning on doing led casting jolly well
reads up on it first!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.