Old 19-08-2007, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Eating Green Tomatos

Hello,

Is it safe to eat green tomatoes?

I know there are lots of recipes for frying them but don't they
contain a poison?
Old 19-08-2007, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Steve Newport wrote:
Hello,

Is it safe to eat green tomatoes?

I know there are lots of recipes for frying them but don't they
contain a poison?

I ain't died from it yet! unfortunately for some...
I'm sure someone out there would like to see me gone!
lol

seriously though, I don't know about any poison, and like I first said,
I'm still here...
Old 20-08-2007, 12:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Steve Newport wrote:
Hello,

Is it safe to eat green tomatoes?

I know there are lots of recipes for frying them but don't they
contain a poison?

I ain't died from it yet! unfortunately for some...
I'm sure someone out there would like to see me gone!
lol

seriously though, I don't know about any poison, and like I first said,
I'm still here...

The tomato plant was not grown in England until the 1590s, according to
Smith. One of the earliest cultivators was John Gerard, a
barber-surgeon. Gerard's Herbal, published in 1597 and largely
plagiarized from continental sources, is also one of the earliest
discussions of the tomato in England. Gerard knew that the tomato was
eaten in both Spain and Italy. Nonetheless, he believed that it was
poisonous (tomato leaves and stems contain poisonous glycoalkaloids, but
the fruit is safe). Gerard's views were influential, and the tomato was
considered unfit for eating (though not necessarily poisonous) for many
years in Britain and its North American colonies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato
--
FB - FFF

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 20-08-2007, 08:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Steve Newport wrote:

Hello,

Is it safe to eat green tomatoes?

I know there are lots of recipes for frying them but don't they
contain a poison?

Never made us sick... :-)

We love 'em fried!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 20-08-2007, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 8/19/07 4:36 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

The tomato plant was not grown in England until the 1590s, according to
Smith. One of the earliest cultivators was John Gerard, a
barber-surgeon. Gerard's Herbal, published in 1597 and largely
plagiarized from continental sources, is also one of the earliest
discussions of the tomato in England. Gerard knew that the tomato was
eaten in both Spain and Italy. Nonetheless, he believed that it was
poisonous (tomato leaves and stems contain poisonous glycoalkaloids, but
the fruit is safe). Gerard's views were influential, and the tomato was
considered unfit for eating (though not necessarily poisonous) for many
years in Britain and its North American colonies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato

I noticed that my hands became stained green after handling tomato foliage.
Then, when I washed my hands with soap, the wash water turned to a strong
yellow. Further checking confirmed that whatever the color came from was an
acid/base indicator. Does anyone here know what that tomato plant substance
can be?

Bill
--
Fermez le Bush--less than 18 months to go.

Old 21-08-2007, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Salmon Egg wrote:

On 8/19/07 4:36 PM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

[...]

Have you ever heard of Google?

Old 21-08-2007, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Yeah. Had em twice now. Excellent. Yum yum.