Old 23-08-2007, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Restoring old veg plot

writes:

"alanroy" wrote in message

Hello,
My new garden has a veg plot at the end, which I'd like to have a crack
at. I've read Joy Larkcoms book cover to cover, which suggest I may have
to wait two season before I can plant anything.

Being as impatient as I am, does anyone have any suggestions as to what
I can put in it in the next six weeks or so to get it going, or should I
leave it until next spring?

It was quite overgrown with brambles and weeds, but I am now digging it
out and getting it ready for use.

dependant how big the plot is, and how much you want to plant, you may
want
to put part of it into crops and let the rest aside for a season. What you
don't use you could mulch now to knock out the weeds for when you want to
use it. Layer the plot with cardboard or even better old wool carpet or
felt
underlay and leave for some months. Most weeds underneath will dies off in
time & you will have a decent clear bed for sowing.

rob

Alan,

Soil is for planting. I have not read the book and glad I did not as I
would have missed two years of a very good garden. Have you considered
talking to your local extension office and/or gardeners in your area?
Also try the local greenhouses. You will obtain a lot of good
information, importantly, for your area.

Honestly, if you can get several pickup loads of horse manure on it in the
next few weeks and till it into the soil, you should have a great garden
spot next spring. (The amount would be dependent on the size of your
garden, figure enough to have it a couple inches thick.) You could even
plant a nitro-fixing clover/grass on it this fall to till under in the
spring.

Good luck with your garden.

Rob,

Wouldn't carpet or felt underlay risk releasing toxic substances into the
soil which will be in the harvested food?

Glenna

Restoring old veg plot alanroy Edible Gardening 4 24-08-2007 01:43 PM
Veg plot - invasive conifer roots. Orson Kart United Kingdom 3 03-03-2006 04:53 PM
wood ash on veg plot middleton.walker United Kingdom 13 17-12-2005 12:59 AM
new veg plot graham United Kingdom 10 20-08-2003 01:06 AM
What to grow in crap half of veg plot Rosie United Kingdom 4 22-03-2003 11:30 AM