Old 09-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Registered User

Default Runner Bean Seed Question?

Hello I hope you can give me some advice:

I have been stripping away the remains of last years runner beans today to get my borders ready for this years crop.
Can you tell me if planting the beans/seeds from the pods of these old plants will be better, worse or no different from planting beans/seeds fresh out of a packet?

Also can I use seeds for runner beans and Jalapeno peppers that I bouught last year or is it better to buy new packets this year?

Thank you for any help, im a bit new to this!
Old 09-02-2008, 03:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Hi,
The seeds from the old bean plants will grow. Porovided that they are not F.
1 . hybrid you will get a true plant, if they are F. 1. they will grow, but
may be different from the original plant and may or may not be edible. Last
years seeds will proably grow and be all right. I woul try a few before you
buy any more, and see if they germinate. Hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

--
candide

Old 09-02-2008, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 13:40:55 +0000, candide
wrote:

Hello I hope you can give me some advice:

I have been stripping away the remains of last years runner beans today
to get my borders ready for this years crop.
Can you tell me if planting the beans/seeds from the pods of these old
plants will be better, worse or no different from planting beans/seeds
fresh out of a packet?

Properly dried, your harvested beans will grow as well as newly
purchased seeds.

Also can I use seeds for runner beans and Jalapeno peppers that I
bouught last year or is it better to buy new packets this year?

As to seed longevity, check out the list at
http://www.hillgardens.com/seed_longevity.htm
where it will tell you that last year's beans (3-6 years) and pepper
seeds (3-5 years) should still be viable for planting this year.
That's provided they've been stored reasonably well.
You can always do a germination test. Here's how:
http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/ar...2005/seeds.htm

Have fun.

Ross
Southern Ontario, Canada.
AgCanada Zone 5b
Google Earth:
43º 17' 26.75" North
80º 13' 29.46" West
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:01 AM
Registered User

Smile

Thank you very much for your help Ross.
I appreciate it!!!
Old 14-02-2008, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"candide" wrote in message

Hello I hope you can give me some advice:

I have been stripping away the remains of last years runner beans today
to get my borders ready for this years crop.
Can you tell me if planting the beans/seeds from the pods of these old
plants will be better, worse or no different from planting beans/seeds
fresh out of a packet?

Thank you for any help, im a bit new to this!

--
candide

Hi candide. My expierience with this has been that the seeds from the old
plants work better than the packets, as long as plants are open polinated,
and they have not cross polinate with other plants from the same family.
Plants like beans and peas are usually OK because they seldom cross polinate
(or so I've read). Plants like Peppers might be better to go with seed
packets, because your more likely to get what you want.

Also can I use seeds for runner beans and Jalapeno peppers that I
bouught last year or is it better to buy new packets this year?

The seed packets usually have a date on them that tells how long they will
be viable. As long as they have been stored in a cool, dry, dark area, (I
keep mine in a paper bag in the frig) they should be fine. The worst thing
is that there will be a slight decrease in germination. If you are not sure
about it, follow the old saying "When in doubt-throw it out".
Best of luck, Dean.