Old 27-02-2008, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Mushrooms In New Potting Soil

I am sowing seeds in 3.5 inch square plastic flower pots using Greenall
Organic Potting Soil. I place the pots in 1020 treys with clear plastic
domes and keep them near a window at a constant seventy degree
temperature.

Most of my pots are growing volunteer mushroom fruiting bodies in the
time it takes for the seeds to germinate (about five days).

I discussed this situation with experienced gardening neighbors and
friends. They had never heard of such a thing. My nursery man had not
seen this either, but offered to exchange or refund the soil.

My quandary is this: I am planting in container boxes and I don't relish
the thought of live mycelium competing with my plants for territory. I
will discard these 48 plants to get a clean start on the growing medium,
but to do so will put me three weeks behind schedule.

My question is this: Is there a possibility the mushroom contamination
of the potting soil will also be contaminated with other negative
factors as weed seeds, bad bugs, mold, etc. I will not plant these guys
if there is any possibility of a problem from it.

I am really saddened at this situation because the plants are vigorous
and happy to be here working for me. But the garden project is a serious
affair for me and that takes precedent.

I have thought to give them to other people to plant in the ground, but
I don't wish to gift that which I will not use.

If anyone has advice or suggestions for me to consider I would sincerely
appreciate hearing from you.

Kitamun

Central California twelve miles from the ocean
Climate 10a

Separate Posting to Newsgroups: rec.gardens and rec.gardens.edible

Old 27-02-2008, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

--

Mushrooms with fruiting bodies and your plants look healthy? I wouldn't
worry about it. Your problem would be mold or mildew, something that

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/site/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush

Old 01-03-2008, 02:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
kitamun wrote:

[...]

I concur.

Mushroom growth is often a sign of very healthy soil.
--
Peace, Om
Remove underscore to validate gmails.

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
-- Mark Twain