Old 10-04-2008, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
ewl ewl is offline

Default Potting Soil vs. Potting Mix

What is the difference between "Potting Soil" and "Potting Mix"?
Also, if you were to make your own potting mix or potting soil what
would it consist of?

Thanks
Old 10-04-2008, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/10/2008 11:59 AM, ewl wrote:
What is the difference between "Potting Soil" and "Potting Mix"?
Also, if you were to make your own potting mix or potting soil what
would it consist of?

Thanks

I call it "potting mix" because I mix it myself. I don't think "soil"
would be correct because, in my case, there is no soil from the garden
in it.

My recipe is at http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 10-04-2008, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:59:46 -0700 (PDT), ewl
wrote:

What is the difference between "Potting Soil" and "Potting Mix"?
Also, if you were to make your own potting mix or potting soil what
would it consist of?

Thanks

This is an interesting question. I used to make my own potting soil
(garden soil, peat moss, vermiculite, whiting). It had to be
screened, mixed, baked and fluffed. It is so much easier to buy bags
of general potting soil or soil "mixes" formulated for specific plants
(cactus, African violets, orchids, etc). I guess few gardeners make
their own potting soil today, but it is no more difficult than baking
a cake.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

What is the difference between "Potting Soil" and "Potting Mix"?
Also, if you were to make your own potting mix or potting soil what
would it consist of?

Thanks

This is an interesting question. I used to make my own potting soil
(garden soil, peat moss, vermiculite, whiting). It had to be
screened, mixed, baked and fluffed. It is so much easier to buy bags
of general potting soil or soil "mixes" formulated for specific plants
(cactus, African violets, orchids, etc). I guess few gardeners make
their own potting soil today, but it is no more difficult than baking
a cake.

I hate peat moss because pH can drop to 5.0 within a month
unless I dump in a ton of lime. So much better to concoct my
own mix, from a coco coir base if I can get it or equal parts
homegrown vermicompost and vermiculite. Doing without
salt-based fertilizers means I can reuse the soil instead
of dumping it at season's end.

Has anyone found bagged mixes that _aren't_ fertilized or
based on peat?

Old 11-04-2008, 06:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

"ewl" wrote in message
What is the difference between "Potting Soil" and "Potting Mix"?
Also, if you were to make your own potting mix or potting soil what
would it consist of?

Thanks

2nd question response. Sandy loam, pine bark 5%, food green leftovers.
Stew for a month in warm weather, keep it moist. Bear in mind that "sandy
loam" is difficult to get a consistent definition for.
--
Dave

Old 11-04-2008, 11:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

wrote:

[...]

Close but no cigar.

Bill

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/p...earch&search=9
227&item=9227

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
MaCain in 2038 !!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Many flowering plants prefer an acidic environment. Since the water in
my area is alkaline, an acidic mix (per my recipe) is quite appropriate.
The native soils are even more alkaline. I rarely see lime at any of
the nurseries I visit.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Baltimore's tap water is 7.5. Still, every time I use peat-based
mixes, they go to 4.5 within a month despite stabilization with
dolomite at 1 cup per gallon soil.