Old 19-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Registered User

Question Forgot this question in my original post - carrot flies

I have read that carrot flies only fly below a certain height and that erecting a barrier around your carrots you can prevent/reduce carrot fly attacks

How intelligent are these flies?

If my carrots are in pots on my decking or on top of my picnic bench does this count as being high enough to be out their flight path? Would I still require a barrier around them? Or would carrot flies go up and over?

Hope someone can help

Karen
Old 20-03-2008, 03:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Hiya, I am new!! I also have a few questions

In article , Ginger1880.2572f96
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Hi there,

I am new, I live in the West coast of Scotland, I am 27

Hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions, they a

* I am propagating a few rosemary cuttings, I dipped the stems in root
hormone, place them around the edge of a pot and placed them in a bag
on a bright windowsill (indoors). Today I opened the bag for a peep and
a couple of them have started to show signs of mold starting, why is
this? Have a made the soil too damp?

They don't have to be in a bag.

The mold is probably due to humidity inside the bag. You didn't say
whether it was plastic or paper.

Propagate the cuttings in 2 inch cel-paks and you don't have to separate
them to repot when they get bigger. (They can grow up to be bushes.)
Old 28-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Registered User

Exclamation

Anyone got any idea???

Please help

Kx
Old 29-03-2008, 10:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Forgot this question in my original post - carrot flies

Ginger1880 said:

Anyone got any idea???

Please help

Some 'organic' approaches:

Beneficial nematodes

Use row covers and crop rotation

Plant resistant varieties.

Interplant carrots (and use outer borders) of some other
crop plant (garlic, onions, non-related herb) or cover crop
(vetch, clover). You could also try regular sprays with
a garlic/rosemary to act as a repellant and odor mask for
the carrots.

Thorough cleanup after harvest is always a good idea.
Destroy any infested carrots. Destroy any weeds in the
carrot family that are growing nearby.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 29-03-2008, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Ginger1880 said:

Anyone got any idea???

Please help

Some 'organic' approaches:

Beneficial nematodes

Use row covers and crop rotation

Plant resistant varieties.

Interplant carrots (and use outer borders) of some other
crop plant (garlic, onions, non-related herb) or cover crop
(vetch, clover). You could also try regular sprays with
a garlic/rosemary to act as a repellant and odor mask for
the carrots.

Thorough cleanup after harvest is always a good idea.
Destroy any infested carrots. Destroy any weeds in the
carrot family that are growing nearby.

http://www.answers.com/topic/biologi...cat=technology

Plant Pests

Basil Repels flies and mosquitoes.
Catnip Deters flea beetle.
Garlic Deters Japanese beetle.
Horseradish Deters potato bugs.
Marigold The workhorse of pest deterrents. Discourages
Mexican bean beetles, nematodes and
others.
Mint Deters white cabbage moth, ants.
Nasturtium Deters aphids, squash bugs and striped pumpkin
beetles.
Pot Marigold Deters asparagus beetles, tomato worm, and general
garden pests.
Peppermint Repels the white cabbage butterfly.
Rosemary Deters cabbage moth, bean beetles and carrot fly.
Sage Deters cabbage moth and carrot fly.
Southernwood Deters cabbage moth.
Summer Savory Deters bean beetles.
Tansy Deters flying insects, Japanese beetles, striped
cucumber beetles, squash bugs and ants.
Thyme Deters cabbage worm.
Wormwood Deters animals from garden.

---------

http://everest.ento.vt.edu/~idlab/ve...otrustfly.html

Carrot rust flies (carrot flies are a species of carrot rust flies
Genus: Psila , Species: P. rosae) over winter as pupae. First generation
eggs are deposited in spring, singly or in groups, in soil around carrot
plants. The carrot fly's three instars feed on lateral and taproots of
carrot plants. In about three to four weeks from the egg stage mature
larvae move into the soil where they pupate. Multiple generations occur
in Virginia annually.
Cultural Control:

Delay seeding until mid-May and harvest early in June before second
generation flies appear. Harvest in blocks rather than selectively.
Destroy all volunteer umbelliferous plants as they may serve as
alternate hosts and possible sources of infestation. Deep plowing in
fall or spring as well as crop rotation will help reduce populations of
this pest. Carrot rust fly infestations can be thwarted by placing cones
made of window screen over individual plants. Cones can be stacked,
stored and used in subsequent years. These same cones can be used to
protect young cruciferous plants from attack by cabbage maggots.
Organic/Biological Control:

Sprinkle rock phosphate around the base of plants.

---------

http://topveg.com/2008/02/15/grow-ca...-in-the-vegeta
ble-garden/

Grow Carrot Fly Free Varieties in the Vegetable Garden

Posted by TopVeg - February 15th, 2008

Carrot Fly Free varieties of carrot are available to grow in the
Vegetable Garden. Three examples of carrot fly varieties a

* Resistafly - mid to late season use
* Flyaway - early
* Early Nantes - suitable for early sowing under glass

---------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companion_plants

Plants that repel carrot flies:

Alliums: Alliums include onions, garlic, leeks, shallots, chives, and
others

Aromatic companion plants repel carrot root flies. Sage, rosemary, and
radishes are recommended by some as companion plants, but listed by
others as incompatible.

For the beneficial insect-attracting properties of carrots to work, they
need to be allowed to flower; Otherwise, use the wild carrot, Queen
Anne's Lace, for the same effect. Flax produces an oil that may protect
root vegetables like carrots from some pests.
----------

http://www.kidsgardening.com/growing...mar03/pg1.html

1. Attracting Beneficial Insects (and others)

Many insects, such as small parasitic wasps, green lacewings, and lady
beetles, depend on certain pests for nourishment. When pests are in
short supply, these do-gooders feed on pollen and nectar. Plants with
tiny flowers, such as members of the carrot (umbel family) and daisy
(composite or aster) families, are among their favorites. (Most
composite flowers, such as the zinnia pictured below, are actually
comprised of many tiny flowers, called disk flowers, which grow in the
center and surrounding longer, flat ray flowers, which resemble petals.)
You can encourage the pest-control squad by mixing the following members
of those two plant families with your vegetables: anise, dill, caraway,
fennel, yarrow, sweet cicely, zinnia, cosmos, and marigold, or by
leaving related weeds (e.g., queen Anne's lace and wild daisies) nearby.
Other small-flowered herbs such as thyme and catnip also appeal to these
garden helpers. If you devote a section of your vegetable garden to
perennial flowers, try coneflower, aster, liatris, coreopsis, and
black-eyed Susan. Fruit-bearing trees and shrubs also offer food and
shelter to birds, many of which feed on garden pests.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/