Old 26-03-2008, 05:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Greenhouse tomato frost report.

It has now been several weeks since the "killer frost" descended on
our little garden patch. It was so cold that the tomato plants
inside the greenhouse showed signs of damage: wilting, browning.

Sadly, the Super Beefsteaks did not pull through. They have gone on
to that big marinara pot in the sky.

The Brandywines are still critical, but if we have a few more nice
days they may yet make it.

But the good news is the Rutgers. The cold weather seems to have
invigorated them.

So, those of you who might like to beat the season with a tomato plant
could do well to choose Rutgers. Tomato frost report ends.
Old 26-03-2008, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"www.locoworks.com" wrote:

It has now been several weeks since the "killer frost" descended on
our little garden patch. It was so cold that the tomato plants
inside the greenhouse showed signs of damage: wilting, browning.

Sadly, the Super Beefsteaks did not pull through. They have gone on
to that big marinara pot in the sky.

The Brandywines are still critical, but if we have a few more nice
days they may yet make it.

But the good news is the Rutgers. The cold weather seems to have
invigorated them.

So, those of you who might like to beat the season with a tomato plant
could do well to choose Rutgers. Tomato frost report ends.

Some gardeners will transplant their tomatoes soon after the soil is
prepared for spring gardening, when there is a high risk of damage from
freezing. If you do so, be prepared to cover early set plants overnight
to protect them from frost. For best results with very early plantings,
consider black plastic mulch and floating row covers for heat
accumulation and frost protection.

For best results with minimal risk, plant when the soil is warm, soon
after the frost-free date for your area.
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 26-03-2008, 04:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 22:35:28 -0700 (PDT), "www.locoworks.com"
wrote:

It has now been several weeks since the "killer frost" descended on
our little garden patch. It was so cold that the tomato plants
inside the greenhouse showed signs of damage: wilting, browning.

Sadly, the Super Beefsteaks did not pull through. They have gone on
to that big marinara pot in the sky.

The Brandywines are still critical, but if we have a few more nice
days they may yet make it.

But the good news is the Rutgers. The cold weather seems to have
invigorated them.

So, those of you who might like to beat the season with a tomato plant
could do well to choose Rutgers. Tomato frost report ends.

Great information. Still the question in my mind is how do you intend to use
this fruit? Rutgers are a great canning tomato. High acid makes them too tart
for many folks to enjoy in a salad. And Rutgers are a determinate variety,
meaning they crop once and then the stalks die out. This is great if you want
canning and drying tomatoes, not so great if seeking summer long source of salad
tomatoes.
Old 26-03-2008, 08:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
[...]

tomatoes.- Hide quoted text -

Vandy,

I quote here from the Lilly Miller Heirloom seed packet, "Superior
flavor, delicious in salads, unsurpassed for home canning.
Indeterminate."

Personally I don't know Rutgers from Rugby...but I will know come
July, and will report here if it was Vandy or Lilly who properly
pegged the tomato.

Old 26-03-2008, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
[...]

Tomato Growers Supply Co. calls Rutgers a determinate. However they
also call Viva Italia determinate and I have never been able to keep
it in the 5+' cages and it continues to produce until frost.
--
Susan N.

Old 27-03-2008, 05:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
[...]

Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)- Hide quoted text -

Y'know, there is a type of tomato that is semideterminate. It grows
in a bush-like form like a determinate, but it continues to produce
all season. Maybe that's what we have here in the Rutgers.