Old 08-04-2008, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Uh-oh

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/07/op...=1&oref=slogin

Grains Gone Wild

Article Tools Sponsored By
By PAUL KRUGMAN
Published: April 7, 2008

These days you hear a lot about the world financial crisis. But thereıs
another world crisis under way ‹ and itıs hurting a lot more people.

Iım talking about the food crisis. Over the past few years the prices of
wheat, corn, rice and other basic foodstuffs have doubled or tripled,
with much of the increase taking place just in the last few months. High
food prices dismay even relatively well-off Americans ‹ but theyıre
truly devastating in poor countries, where food often accounts for more
than half a familyıs spending.

There have already been food riots around the world. Food-supplying
countries, from Ukraine to Argentina, have been limiting exports in an
attempt to protect domestic consumers, leading to angry protests from
farmers ‹ and making things even worse in countries that need to import
food. . .
----------------

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/08/bu...inflate.html?p
agewanted=1&ei=5088&en=ed7e8eeb99f7441c&ex=1365393 600&partner=rssnyt&emc=
rss

Asian Inflation Begins to Sting U.S. Shoppers
Justin Mott for The New York Times

.. . . Developing countries have had bouts of inflation before. Indeed,
some are famous for them, like Brazil, which experienced triple-digit
inflation in the late 1980s and early 1990s. But two things make this
time different, and together promise to send prices higher at Wal-Mart
and supermarkets alike in the United States, just as the possibility of
recession looms.

First, developing countries now produce nearly half of all American
imports. Second, inflation in these countries is coming at the same time
that many of their currencies are rising against the dollar.

That puts American consumers in a double bind, paying at least some of
producersı higher costs for making their goods, and higher prices on top
of that because the dollar buys less in those countries. . .

.. . . And there are signs that the dollar could fall further if
developing countriesı central banks stopped supporting it, particularly
in Asia.

Vietnamıs central bank even had to order the countryıs commercial banks
late last month to resume buying dollars within the tight range of
exchange rates set by the government. Many banks had started betting on
dollar depreciation and refusing to accept large sums in dollars, to the
point that multinationals and exporters had trouble wiring money into
the country to pay their employeesı salaries.
---------

Make that garden as big as you can. Food = $
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 08-04-2008, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

Look at some of these graphs dealing with Commodity/Futures.

http://www.investmenttools.com/futures/

Scary for sure. Deals with food stuffs and more.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
MaCain in 2038 !!
Old 08-04-2008, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 12:53:36 -0400, Bill wrote:

Look at some of these graphs dealing with Commodity/Futures.

http://www.investmenttools.com/futures/

Scary for sure. Deals with food stuffs and more.

Bill

Yike is right. Thanks for this link. All the info is in one place for
me now.

The last two months. Very not good. Overseas news is reporting the
results of this. Several grain exporting countries will *not* be
exporting this year.

Last week we hit one of the big boxes and I picked up a couple hundred
pounds of rice and beans. Short term insurance.

Got Rice?
Charlie

Yup we have about 3 months worth on hand. I've got it in 2 #
containers as I've had 50# bags go buggy before.
Australia is a major exporter of wheat. This drought they have effects
us all.

There is always squirrel stew. )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH9MaW1tjig

Bill

Old 08-04-2008, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:35:35 -0400, Bill wrote:

Yup we have about 3 months worth on hand. I've got it in 2 #
containers as I've had 50# bags go buggy before.
Australia is a major exporter of wheat. This drought they have effects
us all.

I use the old chunk of dry ice in the bottom of a bucket and fill with
rice letting the CO2 displace the O2 before sealing the bucket trick.

There is always squirrel stew. )

LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH9MaW1tjig

Let's not forget this fine dining experience either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1NlLJsr2ac

We need to have a care here, we're gonna hurt old Billy's feelings by
hijinxing his thread. ;-)

Charlie

I thought we were on topic but I usually do )

The devil made me do it.
Billy made me do it.

Bill

Old 08-04-2008, 11:01 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

We need to have a care here, we're gonna hurt old Billy's feelings by
hijinxing his thread. ;-)

Charlie

I thought we were on topic but I usually do )

The devil made me do it.
Billy made me do it.

Hey Billy, you gettin' this? {:-[

Guess not. Must be out getting grounded, lucky feller!

Bill

Ah yes......a fine compost of ideas!

"Spread it on the ground, pile it up, add stuff or not....... Just
don't bag it up and throw it away. It's all good." cat daddy

Life. It all works together, always on topic, to create something
better if we just mix it up and let it.

Charlie

Uh-huh. Chapter Nine in "The Revolution yada,yada, yada" by Sandor Katz
is dedcated to "The Feral Forager": Scavaging and Recycling Food
Resources.

Think I'll head on out to the store and pick up a few things:-(

Old 09-04-2008, 12:51 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , Charlie wrote:

[...]

Oil and gas prices is one thing. When my Saturday night pizza delivery
doubles in price, that's going to put a real hurtin' on my budget.

I am having my post-and-rail fence replaced. Maybe I should make that an
enclosed chain link fence around my Meditation Potato Walk with 24-hour
internet webcams.

dwight

Old 09-04-2008, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"dwight" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , Charlie wrote:

[...]

Pizza Dough

7g compressed yeast
1/2 teaspoon castor sugar
1/4 cup warm water
2 cups plain flour
2 eggs lightly beaten
90g butter or softened or olive oil

Combine yeast with sugar stir well in warm water .( stand about 8 to 10
min or until mixture is foamy)
Sift flour then combined eggs, yeast mixture, knee for about 3 min
to form a dough then knead in small pieces of butter until all butter
is incorporated , this should take about 5 minutes ( mixture will be
quite sticky ) Knead dough further about 10 minutes or until its
become smooth and elastic. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl, cover ,
stand in room temp. for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.

Pizza Roll (Stromboli)

2 pizza dough (2 lbs.)
1/2 lb. salami
1/2 lb. Capocolla or Pancetta (Italian bacon)
1 1/2 green bell peppers
1 1/2 onions
1/2 lb. Provolone cheese
Oregano
peppers to taste

Make two individual rolls, split ingredients evenly. Roll out
pizza dough to make a square sheet, about 12x12 inch or thinner. Layer
above ingredients in order listed and roll to make one big loaf. Make
sure the seam is at the bottom. Brush top of loaf with egg wash or
water. This will give a nice shine on top. Bake at 350 degrees until
golden. Let it get cool and slice. Serve warm or cold. This can be
frozen in slices and reheated just before serving.

Pizza

Sliced the following ingredient:-

Sausages or ham or salami, sliced
raw button mushroom or any of raw mushrooms, sliced
one medium yellow onion, sliced
one medium tomato, sliced
300g shredded cheese (Gouda cheese or mozzarella cheese or pizza
cheese )

The topping of the pizza is refer to your taste, You can add or change
the topping and replace some others stuff that you like, but just aware
that the pizza base must brush with tomato sauce,oregano leaves, and
the top up with the cheese. The above dough can make two pizza (round
size diameter about 12 inches) Remember don't press too hard to make it
flat, cause this will make your pizza crust too hard. Preheat the Oven
200C or temp like you're baking cakes.)

Divide the dough into two pieces, press to flatten . Spread the tomato
sauce and sprinkle the oregano leaves at the surface of the dough, then
spread the rest of the slices ingredients and top with the cheese. Bake
it for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and pizza base cooked
through.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 12:53:36 -0400, Bill wrote:

Look at some of these graphs dealing with Commodity/Futures.

http://www.investmenttools.com/futures/

Scary for sure. Deals with food stuffs and more.

Bill

Yike is right. Thanks for this link. All the info is in one place for
me now.

The last two months. Very not good. Overseas news is reporting the
results of this. Several grain exporting countries will *not* be
exporting this year.

Last week we hit one of the big boxes and I picked up a couple hundred
pounds of rice and beans. Short term insurance.

Got Rice?
Charlie

Got me thinkin

Wonder how wild rice is being priced these days. Was pricey but with
our current changes maybe worth a look.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...d+rice&ie=UTF-
8&oe=UTF-8

Bill

Wild rice a traditional food B4 white guys add Maple Syrup b4 white
guys. What is next Acorn's. Never ate them. )

Below deals with acorns.

http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/recipes/squirrel.html

Old 12-04-2008, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Billy" wrote in message
[...]

How many homeowners and non-homeowners are not privy with an adequate amount
of acreage, adequate soil, and adequate water supply to grow an adequate
garden in the U.S.?

How about the remaining countries of this earth?
--
Dave

Old 13-04-2008, 07:14 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

How many homeowners and non-homeowners are not privy with an adequate amount
of acreage, adequate soil, and adequate water supply to grow an adequate
garden in the U.S.?

How about the remaining countries of this earth?
--
Dave

That isn't the point. There is also the possibility of joining a
community gardens, or renting a small area where you can garden, or
subscribing to a Community Supported Agriculture participant. I am
receiving free range eggs with the promise to share my meager garden's
bounty. The point is to maximize what you have, whether it is 12,000 sq.
ft. to support a family of three or a pot of parsley, it is all
important.