Old 29-05-2008, 06:08 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

Default Today's harvest

In article ,
"Kathi Jones" wrote:

"Wilson" wrote in message
sometime in the recent past Wilson posted this:
sometime in the recent past Kathi Jones posted this:
(big snip)

Do you use raw chard in your salad and is it just the leaf or stalk
too? Never considered eating it raw. Funny the ruts one can get into.

Chard is the only green we grow down here in SW Louisiana as it is the
only one I actually enjoy eating. We use just the leaf in salads but
when we cook it we use stalk and all. Sometimes we just graze on it as
we go through the garden.
Although my grandfather always seemed to have chard in his garden, we
never ate the leaves - always just boiled the stalks and had them with
a white sauce with butter. Thanks

--
Wilson N45 W67

ok, so I'm a chard virgin....what does it taste like? how does it
compare to lettuce? Spinach? something else?

curious,
Kathi

I'm going to let someone else answer this, but it is milder than spinach
when cooked - I don't know about raw.

"Chard Virgin," hmmmn? Sounds like something you might find next to a
volcano ;-)

Hell, I thought it was funny :-(

--
Wilson N45 W67

Oh, sorry Wilson - I thought I had replied. Yes it was funny - I had a wee
chuckle....

Kathi

It was cute but it didn't make me wee.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
Old 30-05-2008, 05:37 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

I see jams and jellies selling for $5 to $7 a pint and I'm getting
interested.

Are they being purchased at that price or just being offered at that
price? Just curious ‹ I know people who are willing to pay dang near
anything just for homemade quality. Sugar prices bite right now.

Tomorrow I will put up a few pints of pickled b**ts mit onions and
probably more next week. We ate the beet greens tonight with our roast
beef and black eyed peas. Had some raw carrots out of the garden for
beginners. Tilly Dawg, unlike Sleepy Dawg, has decided carrots are for
rabbits. Ol' Sleepy would beg for them, Tilly just spits them out.
Spoiled little thing!

Are you three finally getting used to each other?

George

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Check my new ride: http://www.jamlady.eboard.com
Old 31-05-2008, 09:58 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

George Shirley wrote:
Yeah, onions, broccoli, grapes, raisins, a whole list of things that
will poison dogs and even some cats. We try not to give Tilly any
people food at all. She is getting a knee operated on in a few weeks
and needs to lose a few pounds. Seems every one of her littermates
has the same problem too.

Let us know how she gets on please.