Old 23-05-2008, 01:42 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

Default Today's harvest

In article ,
"Kathi Jones" wrote:

(big snip)

Do you use raw chard in your salad and is it just the leaf or stalk too?
Never considered eating it raw. Funny the ruts one can get into.

Chard is the only green we grow down here in SW Louisiana as it is the
only one I actually enjoy eating. We use just the leaf in salads but when
we cook it we use stalk and all. Sometimes we just graze on it as we go
through the garden.

Although my grandfather always seemed to have chard in his garden, we
never ate the leaves - always just boiled the stalks and had them with a
white sauce with butter. Thanks

--
Wilson N45 W67

ok, so I'm a chard virgin....what does it taste like? how does it compare
to lettuce? Spinach? something else?

curious,
Kathi

Beets.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
Old 23-05-2008, 02:24 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

Kathi Jones wrote:
(big snip)

Do you use raw chard in your salad and is it just the leaf or stalk too?
Never considered eating it raw. Funny the ruts one can get into.

Chard is the only green we grow down here in SW Louisiana as it is the
only one I actually enjoy eating. We use just the leaf in salads but when
we cook it we use stalk and all. Sometimes we just graze on it as we go
through the garden.

Although my grandfather always seemed to have chard in his garden, we
never ate the leaves - always just boiled the stalks and had them with a
white sauce with butter. Thanks

--
Wilson N45 W67

ok, so I'm a chard virgin....what does it taste like? how does it compare
to lettuce? Spinach? something else?

curious,
Kathi

Tastes like a very mild spinach to me Kathi. I like it much better than
collards, mustard, or spinach.
Old 23-05-2008, 03:17 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

"The Cook" wrote in message
news
Here are the results of today's harvest from my garden. That is 1/2
of the chard in a 21 quart canner and the collards are in a 16"
colander. Now I have to get busy and start getting the stuff ready to
freeze or pickle (beets.)

snips.....

This week we harvested some leaf lettuce and a few tomatoes and peppers.
It's been a very cool spring here this year.

Old 23-05-2008, 04:32 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

"Kathi Jones" wrote in message
(big snip)

Do you use raw chard in your salad and is it just the leaf or stalk
too? Never considered eating it raw. Funny the ruts one can get into.

Chard is the only green we grow down here in SW Louisiana as it is the
only one I actually enjoy eating. We use just the leaf in salads but
when we cook it we use stalk and all. Sometimes we just graze on it as
we go through the garden.

Although my grandfather always seemed to have chard in his garden, we
never ate the leaves - always just boiled the stalks and had them with a
white sauce with butter. Thanks

--
Wilson N45 W67

ok, so I'm a chard virgin....what does it taste like? how does it compare
to lettuce? Spinach? something else?

curious,
Kathi

I've found tender young chard better tasting than spinnich and doesn't bolt
so quick down here in the heat.
m2cw
Edrena

Old 23-05-2008, 11:54 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

Kathi Jones wrote:
(big snip)

Do you use raw chard in your salad and is it just the leaf or
stalk too? Never considered eating it raw. Funny the ruts one can
get into.

Chard is the only green we grow down here in SW Louisiana as it is
the only one I actually enjoy eating. We use just the leaf in
salads but when we cook it we use stalk and all. Sometimes we just
graze on it as we go through the garden.

Although my grandfather always seemed to have chard in his garden,
we
never ate the leaves - always just boiled the stalks and had them
with a white sauce with butter. Thanks

--
Wilson N45 W67

ok, so I'm a chard virgin....what does it taste like? how does it
compare to lettuce? Spinach? something else?

It's a beet, just bred to put out lots of greens instead of lots of
root. If you've had beet greens you've got the idea.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old 23-05-2008, 03:56 PM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

sometime in the recent past Kathi Jones posted this:
(big snip)

Do you use raw chard in your salad and is it just the leaf or stalk too?
Never considered eating it raw. Funny the ruts one can get into.

Chard is the only green we grow down here in SW Louisiana as it is the
only one I actually enjoy eating. We use just the leaf in salads but when
we cook it we use stalk and all. Sometimes we just graze on it as we go
through the garden.

Although my grandfather always seemed to have chard in his garden, we
never ate the leaves - always just boiled the stalks and had them with a
white sauce with butter. Thanks

--
Wilson N45 W67

ok, so I'm a chard virgin....what does it taste like? how does it compare
to lettuce? Spinach? something else?

curious,
Kathi

I'm going to let someone else answer this, but it is milder than spinach
when cooked - I don't know about raw.

"Chard Virgin," hmmmn? Sounds like something you might find next to a
volcano ;-)

--
Wilson N45 W67
Old 28-05-2008, 04:10 PM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

sometime in the recent past Wilson posted this:
[...]

Hell, I thought it was funny :-(

--
Wilson N45 W67

Old 28-05-2008, 06:01 PM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

sometime in the recent past George Shirley posted this:
Wilson wrote:
[...]

Thanks, that feels a little better :-)

--
Wilson N45 W67
Old 28-05-2008, 11:53 PM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

"Wilson" wrote in message
[...]

Oh, sorry Wilson - I thought I had replied. Yes it was funny - I had a wee
chuckle....

Kathi

Old 29-05-2008, 12:09 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

"Wilson" wrote in message
[...]

I'm a vicious spider virgin. Killed plenty, eaten none. And no longer a
ribbon slut. But when fruit and sugar's on sale, look out, here comes the
jam hussy.
Edrena

Old 29-05-2008, 12:15 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

"Wilson" wrote in message
[...]

You still taking stuff to the Farmer's Market Edrena? State is changing
the regulations for labeling home made stuff here and I'm waiting to see
what they have to say this time.

I see jams and jellies selling for $5 to $7 a pint and I'm getting
interested.

Tomorrow I will put up a few pints of pickled b**ts mit onions and
probably more next week. We ate the beet greens tonight with our roast
beef and black eyed peas. Had some raw carrots out of the garden for
beginners. Tilly Dawg, unlike Sleepy Dawg, has decided carrots are for
rabbits. Ol' Sleepy would beg for them, Tilly just spits them out.
Spoiled little thing!

George
Old 29-05-2008, 12:59 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

"George Shirley" wrote in message
. ..
The Joneses wrote:

)clipped stuff(
[...]

Nah, I quit bein' pickle queen a couple years ago. Was too much work for a
"hobby." Lots of new friends tho, and lots of socializing. Still got my
pickle wings. It's all the way across the range, about 30 miles and just too
far for even visiting more than once or twice a month. Haveta plan them
trips nowadays.
My cat, Shadow Singer, will eat peanut butter...
Just don't feed the pup any onyuns, it's toxic for dogs & cats.
Edrena

Old 29-05-2008, 02:39 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

The Joneses wrote:
"George Shirley" wrote in message
. ..
The Joneses wrote:

)clipped stuff(
[...]

Yeah, onions, broccoli, grapes, raisins, a whole list of things that
will poison dogs and even some cats. We try not to give Tilly any people
food at all. She is getting a knee operated on in a few weeks and needs
to lose a few pounds. Seems every one of her littermates has the same
problem too.
Old 29-05-2008, 03:02 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible

"George Shirley" wrote in message
.. .
The Joneses wrote:
"George Shirley" wrote in message
. ..
The Joneses wrote:

)clipped stuff(
[...]

Yeehaa! Problems never come in ones, do they? I'm looking to do a leetle
more research on toxic people food. I nivver knew I was so iggnorent.
Up in Santa Fe at the foodie-in last year, they were selling jams for at
least that much. And with oil prices to blame everything on, they'll
probably get even higher. But there is a one-use jar place up in
Albuquerque, I'll dig the name out by and by. If they can get those locally,
cuts costs alot.
Off to watch the tv with Ol'Whiskerface.
Edrena