Old 05-06-2008, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default First pickings from the garden! Yay!

Hi Y'all!

Thought I'd drop in to see how everyone's gardens are going...

I got my first pickings from the garden peas a couple of days ago. Have
more that should be ready to come off today. We were a little slow
getting the garden started this year, as the cooler weather didn't want
to let loose it's grip here in NC. One day it would be in the 70's then
the next night it would frost/freeze! Stayed that way for a few weeks,
had everyone's allergies in a tailspin.

I had planted various hot pepper & bell pepper seeds in some divided
trays, but someone (the hubby of course!) left one of the dogs (the
trouble making one!) out all night, and well...there wasn't any saving
to the trays or the seeds then. I'm guessing I'll have to order some
more seeds from somewhere as I haven't been able to find any plants
locally. Maybe it won't be too late to get a good batch of seeds up and
running. Don't know what I'd do without my peppers!

I had Wyatt out in the flower beds with me not long ago, he thought he
was helping mommy with the weeds, and he wound up breaking off all my
glads! So much for them this year! He broke them down to just above the
bulb.

Glad to see most are still around this group...I've been checking in
from time, but with the kids and trying to finish up planting season and
all (we have over 2100 acres of corn this year!), I don't always have
time to read everything on here, but I do try to keep up when given the
chance. Always trying to learn something new!

~Rae

Old 05-06-2008, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The Cook wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 09:13:49 -0400, rachael simpson
wrote:

[...]

Welcome to another Tarheel. I am in the Foothills and Steve Peek and
June are near Asheville. Where are you located?

Hi, I'm not all that new to this group though! I just come and go a
bit...I'm in the sandhills, inland from the beaches by about 2 hours and
north of the SC border by about 1 & 1/2 hours.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Hi Y'all!

Thought I'd drop in to see how everyone's gardens are going...

Since you asked g

Mine got off to a very slow start. No excuse, since here in So.Calif
coastal we plant all year. I just couldn't get my uh, trowel in gear
for several months. Finally in MAY (shocking!) I put in the seed
that my Canadian friend sends every year.

Usually does well,but this year, lousy. Dunno if it's the seed or
what. Have to stoop to buying tomato plants, I guess; would take
to long to re-seed and wait to see if better results. A few cucumbers
coming up; almost no beets (and they were planted from store seeds).
Go figure!

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one with a late start! Although, I did
hate to hear I'm not the only one with a bit of trouble with it. My
cukes, various types peas, beans, and tomatoes are all doing well. Had
trouble with the first corn seed planted in the garden, had to replant
that, but it's doing well now! We can do without the beets...lol!

Only thing coming up is daikon and radish, and some pea vines
that germinated on their own when I pulled out the old pea vines.

OTOH, there are great tomato and cucumber plants growing in a
couple of decorative pots on the back porch where I planted two
beautiful blue Hibiscus (which as you know is not a hibiscus at all).
I planted them in my own mix, including compost, so wherever the
seeds came from, they're doing a lot better than the ones back
in the veg. garden! Will transplant them at twilight so they can
settle down before tomorrow's sun hits.

Will also plant some corn and pepper seeds. You have 2100 acres of
corn!!! Is this a commercial operation? I'm impressed!

Yes, it is a commercial deal. Several farmers in this area (my husband &
I included) are working together this year, swapping some fields out,
going into crops together, splitting costs, all due to the rising fuel
costs. One local farmer owes nearly $19,000 to the fuel company alone so
far this year. Of course he has 11 fuel tanks that they fill for him and
he does purchase bio-fuel, and that is currently 6 cents more than the
regular off-road diesel fuel. Part of the corn raised will go to
markets, and the other part to the local community farmers markets, etc.

We do have 6 twenty foot rows of corn in our garden though.

I also transplanted some Clivia, which is a tough all, since they
like to snuggle close together. But they are so gorgeous, I
can't wait for them to bloom. Got a few plants from a neighbor
'n' years ago; have transplanted many times; they're tough cookies;
always settle down and go right to work.

Good luck on your transplant! I've grown Clivia before, but not had any
around in a few years...didn't think to take any when I moved.

OK, back to the loathsome work of pushing papers.

Have fun! lol! I'm working on supper here!

Hasta la vista

Persphone

~Rae

old info snipped