Old 26-06-2005, 03:08 AM
Aspasia

Default Vine green beans - how many pickings?

Yo, group -

I sprang for a packet of Renee's organic seeds,
not cheap, but they grew very well (as did her cucumbers
and tomatoes.)

My q. is: how many pickings is one supposed to get
from beans? These were a charming mixture of
yellow and green "French" beans, long and thin
and delicious, but didn't bear for a very extended period.
Is that typical of vine beans?

I used to plant regular Yellow Wax Beans (yum), but
can't remember how many pickings they gave.

Any insights appreciated. This is So. Calif coastal.

--

Aspasia
Old 26-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Aspasia

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 09:24:44 -0700, lgb wrote:

In article ,
says...
My q. is: how many pickings is one supposed to get
from beans? These were a charming mixture of
yellow and green "French" beans, long and thin
and delicious, but didn't bear for a very extended period.
Is that typical of vine beans?

If you don't keep them picked, they stop bearing.
Also, they need a lot of water.

I do, I do! (pick often). Problem is, I'm not getting that many
beans. Dunno why...

We pick pole beans daily and they bear from July until frost.

Sigh. I envy your garden. My beans sure gave up early.
Maybe it was this particular brand, from Renee's Gardens?

Also, they need a lot of water.

They get it. But next yearI'll remember to not
plant tomatoes near beans. I forgot that
tomatoes DON'T need a lot of water once the flowers form.

Thanks for your message.

--

Aspasia
Old 27-06-2005, 02:54 AM
simy1

aspasia, it depends on the beans also. This year I planted four
different types, same soil, same sun, same water. they all came up
rogether but one type is thrice as rall as the worst, and twice as rall
as the second best. it's the romano type, by the way.

Old 28-06-2005, 08:52 AM
presley

Isn't it still possible to plant bush beans - I think they only take 50-60
days to produce, and though they only have a short season, that would almost
bring them to frost dates in the north.?
"lgb" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Sigh. I envy your garden. My beans sure gave up early.
Maybe it was this particular brand, from Renee's Gardens?

I've always planted Northeaster.

But no beans this year - too much cool wet weather - I didn't even
bother to plant them.

--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

Old 28-06-2005, 10:19 AM
Ann

"presley" expounded:

Isn't it still possible to plant bush beans - I think they only take 50-60
days to produce, and though they only have a short season, that would almost
bring them to frost dates in the north.?

Yes, it's still possible, I've got my second crop germinating right
now.

--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 28-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Priscilla H. Ballou

In article ,
"presley" wrote:

Isn't it still possible to plant bush beans - I think they only take 50-60
days to produce, and though they only have a short season, that would almost
bring them to frost dates in the north.?

Definitely. I haven't put my beans in yet, due to various things
including the arrival of a woodchuck against whom I am currently
plotting.

Last year I got a volunteer second planting of Italian pole beans
(apparently missed a pod which fell) which provided me with several
servings well into the fall. :-)

Priscilla
Old 29-06-2005, 02:42 PM
DigitalVinyl

lgb wrote:

In article ,
says...
My q. is: how many pickings is one supposed to get
from beans? These were a charming mixture of
yellow and green "French" beans, long and thin
and delicious, but didn't bear for a very extended period.
Is that typical of vine beans?

If you don't keep them picked, they stop bearing. We pick pole beans
daily and they bear from July until frost.

Also, they need a lot of water.

That was my experience, they bore heavily, especially in the late
summer. Even when they became covered in these black round poppy-seed
like fungus they kept producing if I kept picking.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
3rd year gardener
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalf...=/2055&.src=ph