Old 16-07-2008, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wil Wil is offline

Default Spring onions

OK, so I bought some spring onions to use and since the price was
right I bought a few extra bundles. The fridge was full so I kept a
bundle in a glass of water like cut roses. Lo and behold, they
started to sprout roots. Can I plant these? Will they start growing
little offshoots to the sides? Will they grow seed pods and will I
get little spring onions sprouting up next spring in my pots or
gardens if I plant these in the ground?

BTW, I did the same with lemon grass too and they have sprouted little
roots also.
Thanks,
Wil
Old 16-07-2008, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

it may work. you can try putting it is some soil, keep it moist, and
cut most of the top off so that the new plant will not loose too much
water. I've found that green onions are very hardy and easy to grow.
if yo ureayy wnat to grow them, you can buy seeds or get from a
neighbor. If you have a neighbor with "egyptian onions" get a few
bulbs, they are more proflic than traditional green onions.

thanks,
Simon

Old 16-07-2008, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wil Wil is offline

On Jul 15, 8:25*pm, Wil wrote:

OK, so I bought some spring onions to use and since the price was
right I bought a few extra bundles. *The fridge was full so I kept a
bundle in a glass of water like cut roses. *Lo and behold, they
started to sprout roots. *Can I plant these? *Will they start growing
little offshoots to the sides? *Will they grow seed pods and will I
get little spring onions sprouting up next spring in my pots or
gardens if I plant these in the ground?

BTW, I did the same with lemon grass too and they have sprouted little
roots also.
Thanks,
Wil- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for that Simon. I'll look into the Egyptian onions. You
mentioned onion seeds. I haven't come across any around where I'm at
(DC). I use spring onions a lot although they are cheap to buy, I'd
love to grow some in my own pot. I think they will look nice in a pot
by the window in the winter.

Thanks,
Wil
Old 17-07-2008, 04:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I'm pretty sure there ar eplaces online where you can order green
onion seeds. I think burpees has them but am not sure. once they are
established, you never have to buy seed again, just leave a few stalks
to grow and seed every year.

thanks,
Simon

On Jul 15, 8:25�pm, Wil wrote:

[...]

Spring Onions - Onions? Charles Thorpe United Kingdom 1 19-09-2003 06:51 AM
Spring Onions - Onions? Charles Thorpe United Kingdom 0 18-09-2003 11:48 PM
spring onions(try again) miklol United Kingdom 2 24-03-2003 08:44 PM
spring onions miklol United Kingdom 0 22-03-2003 11:30 AM
spring onions miklol United Kingdom 8 30-09-2002 06:35 AM