GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Compost Making. Utterly Confused!! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/177426-compost-making-utterly-confused.html)

Ed 01-08-2008 05:17 PM

Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

I took on an allotment plot earlier this year, and quickly cleared half
of it to grow at least some crops this season whilst I intensively
double-dig and clear the other half. All of that is going well.

So, now I want to make a compost bin. Eventually I plan to have 3.

I have scavenged 4 pallets each of which is 3ft x 4ft which I intend to
use to build a box that is 3ft square and 4 ft high. One of the sides
will be loosely (but securely) tied in so that it is removable for access.

But what to do next? I have read so much here and on google that I am
utterly confused.

Firstly, should I line the box with something like lino or old carpet in
order to keep the heat in or leave it as it is to allow for aeration?

Secondly, do I have to stick to a strict regime as to how I build up the
layers? I was just thinking of simply piling in layers of stuff as and
when I harvested crops throughout the season , maybe throw in some grass
cuttings from home, maybe throw in paper from the shredding machine,
maybe throw in some straw if it available.

Do I have to add accelerators? Do I have to add lime? Do I have to turn
it? Do I add worms? Do I have to pee on it LOL!!

Making compost seems to have become such a scientific skill that I am
now quite wary of even starting to do so, lest I end up with some smelly
sickly sludge that it no good for anything.

Ed

Omelet[_4_] 01-08-2008 05:44 PM

Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

[...]

Just dump it in a pile and keep it damp. Does not matter whether you
layer it or otherwise.

It's really not rocket science. g

I personally use construction grade giant trash bags. Fill them and
leave them open at the top. I let them sit for a year or so.

Makes great compost.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

AZ Nomad[_3_] 01-08-2008 06:40 PM

Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 11:44:51 -0500, Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

[...]

I use leaves and leave it in the rain gutters for a couple of years.
:-) Also makes great compost.

Omelet[_4_] 01-08-2008 06:59 PM

Ed ex@directory wrote:

[...]

Lazy bastid. giggles

My neighbors did that. I was oh so tempted to hang a ladder over the
fence and snag that baby wild chili petin I saw growing in the rain
gutter on the corner of their house!

We raked a bunch of leaves into a corner of the yard once. Never did get
around to bagging them. They composted down in less than 6 months, in
the shade no less. Leave grass clippings on the lawn. They go away in
less than two weeks, and enrich the lawn.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Sheldon[_1_] 01-08-2008 07:08 PM

Ed ex@directory wrote:
[...]

Composting is a verb... you compost to make humus.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/humus

---

AZ Nomad[_3_] 01-08-2008 07:09 PM

Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 12:59:28 -0500, Omelet wrote:

Ed ex@directory wrote:

[...]

Yet if you leave the kitchen trash on the front lawn, the neighbors
will complain. Go figgur.

Omelet[_4_] 01-08-2008 07:12 PM

Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

In article
,

Ed ex@directory wrote:
[...]

How do you build your compost/humus heaps Shel' baby?
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Omelet[_4_] 01-08-2008 07:15 PM

Ed ex@directory wrote:

[...]

Smell control is a different subject.

If I dump kitchen garbage that I know will stink, it gets a little dirt
or a layer of leaves over it.

Not necessary for composting.

I have a compost bucket in the kitchen. Food leavings (other than corn
husks and cobs) never go in the kitchen trash. I don't like smelly trash
cans. The small container for food scraps is covered and emptied more
regularly.

It also keeps pets out of the trash.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Alfred Falk 01-08-2008 08:03 PM

Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

Ed ex@directory wrote in
:

[...]

You don't have to do bugger-all to make it work. All that scientific
stuff will get you efficiency improvements. Depending on a lot of
things those improvements may be small or large. Start simple and
figure out what could be better based on experience.

I just use wire mesh "bins" which I turn no more often than monthly. In
my cool dry climate it takes a season to produce good compost. I've got
the time and the space, so...

A L B E R T A Alfred Falk
R E S E A R C H Information Systems Dept (780)450-5185
C O U N C I L 250 Karl Clark Road
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
http://www.arc.ab.ca/ T6N 1E4
http://outside.arc.ab.ca/staff/falk/

AZ Nomad[_3_] 01-08-2008 08:19 PM

Ed ex@directory wrote:
[...]

Yes, and compost is a noun.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/compost
Main Entry:
com·post
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Anglo-French, from Medieval Latin compostum, from Latin, neuter
of compositus, compostus, past participle of componere
Date:
1587

1 : a mixture that consists largely of decayed organic matter and
is used for fertilizing and conditioning land 2 : mixture, compound

z 01-08-2008 08:35 PM

On Aug 1, 12:17*pm, Ed ex@directory wrote:
[...]

also if i ever come across a worm on the sidewalk he/she goes into
the compost. (alive!!!)

Chris[_14_] 01-08-2008 08:43 PM

[...]

I would not use anything except chicken wire to line the boxes. You
do need some air circulation.

Other than that- you don't need to do anything except start adding
compostable material. The beauty of compost is that it works all on
its own. Sure, if it gets really dry you can hose it down a little.
You can add stuff in distinct layers (kitchen scraps/grass/soil for
example) and you might speed things up a bit. But none of that is
necessary. Um, you mentioned pallets- are they solid on the bottom?
Will it be impossible for worms to migrate into the compost? If so,
you might want to put some soil with worms on the bottom to start.

Chris

shazzbat 01-08-2008 09:20 PM

"z" wrote in message
[...]

Composting works in every way that people choose to do it, organic stuff
just can't help rotting down. I once tipped a wheelbarrow full of weeds
onto the ground because I needed the wheel barrow for other purposes, and 4
days later when I picked them up, the centre was hot, it had started. Make
as many containers as you can, and make them as big as you can. It'll work.

Steve

jellybean stonerfish 01-08-2008 09:25 PM

Ed ex@directory wrote:
[...]

Look up "compost" in your merriam-webster and you will see...

Main Entry: com·post
Function: noun

1 : a mixture that consists largely of decayed organic matter and is used
for fertilizing and conditioning land
2 : mixture, compound

.... as the first definition. Second definition is the verb form.

John McGaw 02-08-2008 01:18 AM

Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

Sheldon wrote:
snip...

Composting is a verb... you compost to make humus.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/humus

---

And you mash chickpeas to make hummus...

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

AZ Nomad[_3_] 02-08-2008 01:36 AM

Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 20:18:24 -0400, John McGaw wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
snip...

Composting is a verb... you compost to make humus.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/humus

---

And you mash chickpeas to make hummus...

That's why his gyros taste so awfull. He's been using compost.

Father Haskell 02-08-2008 02:52 AM

On Aug 1, 3:35 pm, z wrote:

also if i ever come across a worm on the sidewalk he/she

It. Earthworms are hermaphrodites.

goes into
the compost. (alive!!!)

Billy[_5_] 02-08-2008 03:25 AM

Father Haskell wrote:

On Aug 1, 3:35 pm, z wrote:

also if i ever come across a worm on the sidewalk he/she

It. Earthworms are hermaphrodites.

If they come to California they can get married ;O)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

David Hare-Scott 02-08-2008 03:02 PM

"Omelet" wrote in message

Composting is a verb... you compost to make humus.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/humus

---

How do you build your compost/humus heaps Shel' baby?
--
Peace! Om

He talks into it.

David

David Hare-Scott 02-08-2008 03:12 PM

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
I took on an allotment plot earlier this year, and quickly cleared half
of it to grow at least some crops this season whilst I intensively
double-dig and clear the other half. All of that is going well.

So, now I want to make a compost bin. Eventually I plan to have 3.

I have scavenged 4 pallets each of which is 3ft x 4ft which I intend to
use to build a box that is 3ft square and 4 ft high. One of the sides
will be loosely (but securely) tied in so that it is removable for access.

But what to do next? I have read so much here and on google that I am
utterly confused.

Firstly, should I line the box with something like lino or old carpet in
order to keep the heat in or leave it as it is to allow for aeration?

Depends on temperature.

Secondly, do I have to stick to a strict regime as to how I build up the
layers?

You can but it isn't absolutely essential

I was just thinking of simply piling in layers of stuff as and
when I harvested crops throughout the season , maybe throw in some grass
cuttings from home, maybe throw in paper from the shredding machine,
maybe throw in some straw if it available.

Sounds OK to me

Do I have to add accelerators?

not unless you want it to go fast

Do I have to add lime?

it will degrade quite well without it, you may want to lime your garden as
compost comes out slightly acidic but it depends on your soil and overall
conditions how important this is

Do I have to turn
it?

Only if you want it to work at maximum speed

Do I add worms?

no they will find there own way there

Do I have to pee on it LOL!!

no but it is a useful thing to do with that resource

Making compost seems to have become such a scientific skill that I am
now quite wary of even starting to do so, lest I end up with some smelly
sickly sludge that it no good for anything.

Ed

Calm down it is not such a big deal. You can try to be super scientific but
if you are not it will still work but take longer.

David

Bill[_13_] 02-08-2008 04:17 PM

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

[...]

My Dad runs PVC pipe about his pile. The 6 or 8 inch diameter pipe
has holes in it. Think pipe to defuse water but in this case it defuses
oxygen. AKA less need to turn.
Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Omelet[_4_] 02-08-2008 04:36 PM

Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
Father Haskell wrote:

On Aug 1, 3:35 pm, z wrote:

also if i ever come across a worm on the sidewalk he/she

It. Earthworms are hermaphrodites.

If they come to California they can get married ;O)
--

Billy

To themselves? g
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Billy[_5_] 02-08-2008 05:02 PM

Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

[...]

A simple alternative is to dig a small trench. Put your kitchen
scrapes into it, and then cover it back over.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Ed 02-08-2008 10:25 PM

On 02/08/08 15:12, David Hare-Scott wrote:
[...]

hey David.

you give good practical advice. I think I go with wot u say.

Thanks,,
Ed xxx

Sherwin 03-08-2008 04:54 AM

Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

Ed,

To answer some of your questions:

You want to have a natural air flow through the pile, so don't line it
with anything.

Most important is to keep the pile moist. Dry piles don't go anywhere.

Certain things can add to the speed of the processing. One of these is
to chop up everything as fine as you can. I take leaves and grass that
have been run through a lawn mower. Straight whole leaves tend to pack
together and slow things down. You can add an accelerant, like some
fertilizer, but it is not absolutely necessary. I try to alternate the
layers of the pile with green (i.e. grass) and brown (leaves). Turn the
pile ( I try and do this at least once a season ) putting the dry
unprocessed material on the bottom and the dark processed matter, on
top. Water tends to settle to the bottom and that's where you want to
assist the parts of the pile that are not quite cooked yet.

Sherwin

Ed 03-08-2008 10:24 AM

On 03/08/08 04:54, Sherwin wrote:
[...]

Thanks Sherwin. That is very clear advice.

Ed

JustTom 06-08-2008 04:11 PM

Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 13:15:40 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

I have a compost bucket in the kitchen. Food leavings (other than corn
husks and cobs) never go in the kitchen trash. I don't like smelly trash
cans. The small container for food scraps is covered and emptied more
regularly.

Mine go thru the ultimate composters, chickens and pigs. Pity you
can't find them for $19.95 on late night tv.

Omelet[_4_] 06-08-2008 05:03 PM

wrote:

I have a compost bucket in the kitchen. Food leavings (other than corn
husks and cobs) never go in the kitchen trash. I don't like smelly trash
cans. The small container for food scraps is covered and emptied more
regularly.

Mine go thru the ultimate composters, chickens and pigs. Pity you
can't find them for $19.95 on late night tv.

Heh! I used to take that bucket out to the chicken yard when I had
poultry! City ordinances changed over time and made it inconvenient to
keep them any more.

No pigs allowed in the city limits.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

AZ Nomad[_3_] 06-08-2008 05:14 PM

Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 11:03:41 -0500, Omelet wrote:

wrote:

I have a compost bucket in the kitchen. Food leavings (other than corn
husks and cobs) never go in the kitchen trash. I don't like smelly trash
cans. The small container for food scraps is covered and emptied more
regularly.

Mine go thru the ultimate composters, chickens and pigs. Pity you
can't find them for $19.95 on late night tv.

Heh! I used to take that bucket out to the chicken yard when I had
poultry! City ordinances changed over time and made it inconvenient to
keep them any more.

No pigs allowed in the city limits.

No. Only in the drive through lines at fast food restaurants.

Omelet[_4_] 06-08-2008 05:42 PM

wrote:

I have a compost bucket in the kitchen. Food leavings (other than corn
husks and cobs) never go in the kitchen trash. I don't like smelly trash
cans. The small container for food scraps is covered and emptied more
regularly.

Mine go thru the ultimate composters, chickens and pigs. Pity you
can't find them for $19.95 on late night tv.

Heh! I used to take that bucket out to the chicken yard when I had
poultry! City ordinances changed over time and made it inconvenient to
keep them any more.

No pigs allowed in the city limits.

No. Only in the drive through lines at fast food restaurants.

snicker And Wal-mart.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

debnchas 06-08-2008 10:49 PM

[...]

Composting obviously doesn't have to complex or difficult. That being said,
there is an excellent work on composting available on the web at:
http://www.soilandhealth.org/03sov/0.../03010200.html

Chas

JustTom 07-08-2008 05:21 PM

Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 21:49:43 GMT, "debnchas"
wrote:

Composting obviously doesn't have to complex or difficult. That being said,
there is an excellent work on composting available on the web at:
http://www.soilandhealth.org/03sov/0.../03010200.html

Good stuff.

I just scored a copy of the original "Let it rot" in a homesteading
lot I bought last week but haven't had a chance to thumb thru it yet.

I need some help with a fairly large vermicomposting bin design to
process rabbitry waste, preserve the "liquid gold", and not kill my
back.

Anyone have any ideas?

Omelet[_4_] 07-08-2008 06:32 PM

wrote:

Composting obviously doesn't have to complex or difficult. That being said,
there is an excellent work on composting available on the web at:
http://www.soilandhealth.org/03sov/0.../03010200.html

Good stuff.

I just scored a copy of the original "Let it rot" in a homesteading
lot I bought last week but haven't had a chance to thumb thru it yet.

I need some help with a fairly large vermicomposting bin design to
process rabbitry waste, preserve the "liquid gold", and not kill my
back.

Anyone have any ideas?

I was at a rabbit farm once that built the composting "bins" out of wood
right under the rabbit cages, and stocked them with worms. The worms did
not look that healthy tho', kinda pale and slender.

That might work if it was managed properly to keep it from becoming too
acidic.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

JustTom 07-08-2008 06:53 PM

Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 12:32:42 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I;ve seen those, but I'm redesigning my barn to have the rabbits on
the second floor and sliding the waste out of a drain to the bins
outside. Most of the acidic urine will be washed out before making
it to the bins, and they tend to stay away from the "hot corner"
anyway.

I'm kind of thinking of something modular like the "can o worms"
thing, only on a much larger scale.

I'd like it to be modular in design so that I could capture all of
that lovely "liquid gold" the worm also produce. A little bit of
that on the plants and they become very very happy.

I'd also like to easily remove a section of compost without killing my
back, and allow stacking new modules as needed, just like the can o
worms thing.

I currently basically just use the manure straight or diluted as
manure tea, but I'd like the worms to refine it further for me.

Omelet[_4_] 08-08-2008 02:56 AM

se (JustTom) wrote:

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 12:32:42 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The worm castings are she on top of the soil (I gather them in my yard
during the rainy season) in little piles. You can scoop them by hand.
:-)

I'd also like to easily remove a section of compost without killing my
back, and allow stacking new modules as needed, just like the can o
worms thing.

I currently basically just use the manure straight or diluted as
manure tea, but I'd like the worms to refine it further for me.

Coffee grounds make worms happy too, as does vegetable compost. :-)

Are there any vermiculture lists? I've not looked. My back yard is
full of red worms so I've never had to box or buy them.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Jan Flora 08-08-2008 05:14 AM

Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

A simple alternative is to dig a small trench. Put your kitchen
scrapes into it, and then cover it back over.

Don't do that if you have black bears in the area. They'll find it and
dig it up. My MIL could never figure out why she always had a bear in
her yard...

I run my kitchen scraps through my hens, then use the end product in the
garden.

Jan

JustTom 08-08-2008 11:55 AM

Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 20:56:49 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

Are there any vermiculture lists? I've not looked. My back yard is
full of red worms so I've never had to box or buy them.

Not that I could find on usenet, but found a few on yahoo groups.

Billy[_5_] 08-08-2008 04:37 PM

Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Ed ex@directory wrote:

A simple alternative is to dig a small trench. Put your kitchen
scrapes into it, and then cover it back over.

Don't do that if you have black bears in the area. They'll find it and
dig it up. My MIL could never figure out why she always had a bear in
her yard...

I run my kitchen scraps through my hens, then use the end product in the
garden.

Jan

Note to self: check for black bears ;O)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Billy[_5_] 08-08-2008 04:44 PM

Omelet wrote:

Coffee grounds make worms happy

but apparently not zucchini. I can only presume that the pH of the
coffee grounds was to low. The zucks wilted in the late morning
light.They are recovering now but aren't happy campers. I put the
grounds right where the stem comes out of the ground. I've put
coffee grounds in the lettuce patch in the past, with no reaction.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Omelet[_4_] 08-08-2008 05:38 PM

wrote:

Are there any vermiculture lists? I've not looked. My back yard is
full of red worms so I've never had to box or buy them.

Not that I could find on usenet, but found a few on yahoo groups.

Wow. I checked Giganews listings, and there is nothing specific for that.

I like Yahoo groups. I'm subbed to a few lists there.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)