Old 03-08-2008, 03:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Flies eating Beans

Losing my crop of beans due to flies eating them . Any ideas other than
Sevin? Tried this then it rained and next day they were back. Will moving
margiolds into the beans help?

Desperate

JC

Old 08-08-2008, 11:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 02:22:57 GMT, "JCripe" wrote:

Losing my crop of beans due to flies eating them . Any ideas other than
Sevin? Tried this then it rained and next day they were back. Will moving
margiolds into the beans help?

Get a muscovy duck. They're reknowned fly catchers.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 11:40:41 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
se (JustTom) wrote:

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 02:22:57 GMT, "JCripe" wrote:

Losing my crop of beans due to flies eating them . Any ideas other than
Sevin? Tried this then it rained and next day they were back. Will moving
margiolds into the beans help?

Get a muscovy duck. They're reknowned fly catchers.

No kidding!!! I used to entertain myself watching the 'sovies catch
flies! And once we had a MAJOR hatch of scarabs in the entire Austin/San
Antonio area. It was a blast watching the muscovies go after the flying
newborn beetles. g

Fly parasites do work very, very well tho' in combination with drowning
fly traps.

I've not tried the parasites, seemed awfully expensive and others
locally reported poor results, and the traps I've tried didn't really
seem to work. So been on the lookout for the ducks to keep the
population down and amuse me. Once I see how they do, I may even let
them roam the garden and see if their rep for taking down bug while
leaving plant alone is warrented.

I just scored a new flock: A drake + 2 girlfriends and 15 babies.

I bought some new cattle this week and the seller happened to also
have Muscovys (Muscovie/muscovites,muscovay?). I've been looking for
them for a while, so it was a happy accident.

I admit though that I'm a bit nervous to see how they treat my
beehives. I pondered guineas for tick control but had to pass
because of their rep of snacking on bees as they left the hive.

I'm told they taste like veal. I've never eaten veal, so for me, I
guess they're right. We may find out immediately if they display a
sweet tooth for honeybee ; )

Old 08-08-2008, 08:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
se (JustTom) wrote:

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 11:40:41 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
se (JustTom) wrote:

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 02:22:57 GMT, "JCripe" wrote:

Losing my crop of beans due to flies eating them . Any ideas other than
Sevin? Tried this then it rained and next day they were back. Will
moving
margiolds into the beans help?

Get a muscovy duck. They're reknowned fly catchers.

No kidding!!! I used to entertain myself watching the 'sovies catch
flies! And once we had a MAJOR hatch of scarabs in the entire Austin/San
Antonio area. It was a blast watching the muscovies go after the flying
newborn beetles. g

Fly parasites do work very, very well tho' in combination with drowning
fly traps.

I've not tried the parasites, seemed awfully expensive and others
locally reported poor results,

Odd that. I found them to be inexpensive and gave me a good 3 years
worth of fly reduction. Depends I guess on the environment. I had emu
shit for them to rest in.

and the traps I've tried didn't really
seem to work.

I used "Rescue Fly" brand. They stink and the worse they smell, the
better they work. Just keep them filled with water to the fill line and
HANG THEM WAY ABOVE HEAD LEVEL!!! I used iron crook hangers or tree
limbs to hang them a good 8 to 10 ft. up so I did not have to smell
them. g

Damn they work well.

The plastic bag types.

When they got full, I carefully double trash bagged them. They stink to
high heaven! You don't want to spill one. g

So been on the lookout for the ducks to keep the
population down and amuse me. Once I see how they do, I may even let
them roam the garden and see if their rep for taking down bug while
leaving plant alone is warrented.

Scobies (Muscovies) are not as destructive as the mallard type breeds.
Google them. They are not really a "duck". Originating in south america,
they are known as "perching ducks". They can breed with other types,
but the offspring are sterile "mules".

I just scored a new flock: A drake + 2 girlfriends and 15 babies.

What breed?
Some ducks are almost as destructive to gardens as chickens.

I bought some new cattle this week and the seller happened to also
have Muscovys (Muscovie/muscovites,muscovay?). I've been looking for
them for a while, so it was a happy accident.

Muscovie. :-) They are also the quietest breed. Known as "quackless
ducks".

I still have my last remaining drake, and he's about 15 years old now.
He lives with my one pet emu in the back yard. His name is "Arnold".

I admit though that I'm a bit nervous to see how they treat my
beehives. I pondered guineas for tick control but had to pass
because of their rep of snacking on bees as they left the hive.

Fence off the bee hives! QED.

I'm told they taste like veal. I've never eaten veal, so for me, I
guess they're right. We may find out immediately if they display a
sweet tooth for honeybee ; )

Oh, Muscovie is the best eating. Main thing is the size for the work.
If you go to butcher a duck, add a small amount of dish soap to the
scalding water.

Otherwise they take about 3 hours to pluck. g

Trust me.

Been there, done that.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Old 08-08-2008, 08:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 14:19:48 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
se (JustTom) wrote:

I've not tried the parasites, seemed awfully expensive and others
locally reported poor results,

Odd that. I found them to be inexpensive and gave me a good 3 years
worth of fly reduction. Depends I guess on the environment. I had emu
shit for them to rest in.

Are we talking about the parastic wasps here?

The place I looked at, if I ordered the recommended amount even with
my limited amount of animals was still several hundred bucks
initially, and I believe $50 or $60 more each month.

and the traps I've tried didn't really
seem to work.

I used "Rescue Fly" brand. They stink and the worse they smell, the
better they work. Just keep them filled with water to the fill line and
HANG THEM WAY ABOVE HEAD LEVEL!!! I used iron crook hangers or tree
limbs to hang them a good 8 to 10 ft. up so I did not have to smell
them. g

I don't know which brand I had, but they came from TSC, had a tube of
lure that didn't smell particularly pleasant, and a plastic trap
entrance that fit on a gallon milk jug. You're supposed to fill
container half full with water, squeeze tube of gunk in it, and hang
'em where the livestock hang out. I kid you not, didn't catch one
fly with the two I hung, one over a water trough, and one over the
pig's sleeping quarters. I even double baited after no action. Still
no joy.

Of course, it may also be different kinds of flies.

I'll have to see if I can find that brand.

Damn they work well.

The plastic bag types.

When they got full, I carefully double trash bagged them. They stink to
high heaven! You don't want to spill one. g

So been on the lookout for the ducks to keep the
population down and amuse me. Once I see how they do, I may even let
them roam the garden and see if their rep for taking down bug while
leaving plant alone is warrented.

Scobies (Muscovies) are not as destructive as the mallard type breeds.
Google them. They are not really a "duck". Originating in south america,
they are known as "perching ducks". They can breed with other types,
but the offspring are sterile "mules".

Yep, some of those characteristics are why I chose them. I'm curious
to see the claw that lets them perch, and to hear their "nonquack".

A shame about those caruncles though. Kind of like your jiggly
stock, makes you want to go eewww.

I just scored a new flock: A drake + 2 girlfriends and 15 babies.

What breed?

Why Muscovy of course.

Some ducks are almost as destructive to gardens as chickens.

I bought some new cattle this week and the seller happened to also
have Muscovys (Muscovie/muscovites,muscovay?). I've been looking for
them for a while, so it was a happy accident.

Muscovie. :-) They are also the quietest breed. Known as "quackless
ducks".

I still have my last remaining drake, and he's about 15 years old now.
He lives with my one pet emu in the back yard. His name is "Arnold".

I admit though that I'm a bit nervous to see how they treat my
beehives. I pondered guineas for tick control but had to pass
because of their rep of snacking on bees as they left the hive.

Fence off the bee hives! QED.

They're hidden in a wood thicket, and a fur piece from the pasture
they'll cal home, but I'll have to keep an eye on their range and
investigative powers.

Otherwise they take about 3 hours to pluck. g

I have a chicken plucker passed on from my FIL that I haven't picked
up yet. Wonder if that would work.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
se (JustTom) wrote:

On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 14:19:48 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
se (JustTom) wrote:

I've not tried the parasites, seemed awfully expensive and others
locally reported poor results,

Odd that. I found them to be inexpensive and gave me a good 3 years
worth of fly reduction. Depends I guess on the environment. I had emu
shit for them to rest in.

Are we talking about the parastic wasps here?

I think so.

The place I looked at, if I ordered the recommended amount even with
my limited amount of animals was still several hundred bucks
initially, and I believe $50 or $60 more each month.

Hah! BS. They reproduce.

[...]

Hope it helps. I trapped _thousands_ of flies with these and you don't
have to mess with a milk jug. These are self-contained and disposable.

And cheap.

Iirc, I paid around $3.00 each.

[...]

You get used to it. g
They are very charming ducks and the Caruncles on the females are not as
pronounced.

I just scored a new flock: A drake + 2 girlfriends and 15 babies.

What breed?

Why Muscovy of course.

Sorry!

[...]

Chicken wire them. Please.
Chicken wire is cheap.

Otherwise they take about 3 hours to pluck. g

I have a chicken plucker passed on from my FIL that I haven't picked
up yet. Wonder if that would work.

Don't you still need to scald?
--
Peace! Om