Old 28-06-2010, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What is eating my Runner Beans

There is no evidence of slug activity.
All I see is a load of nibbled stalks where a young bean pod once was.

I have put some fine netting over them for now and I dont know if its going
to work ok, but I need to know what is doing this if I am to get an
understanding.

Hope all is well with you all,
Regards
PtePike

Old 28-06-2010, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:04:58 GMT, PtePike wrote:

There is no evidence of slug activity.
All I see is a load of nibbled stalks where a young bean pod once was.

I have put some fine netting over them for now and I dont know if its going
to work ok, but I need to know what is doing this if I am to get an
understanding.

Hope all is well with you all,
Regards
PtePike

My dad reckons it'll be mice. That's what he's suggested for mine.
(He's not seen them though)
--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 28-06-2010, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:04:58 GMT, PtePike wrote:

There is no evidence of slug activity.
All I see is a load of nibbled stalks where a young bean pod once was.

I have put some fine netting over them for now and I dont know if its going
to work ok, but I need to know what is doing this if I am to get an
understanding.

Hope all is well with you all,
Regards
PtePike

Birds?

Pam in Bristol
Old 28-06-2010, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote in
:

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:04:58 GMT, PtePike wrote:

There is no evidence of slug activity.
All I see is a load of nibbled stalks where a young bean pod once was.

I have put some fine netting over them for now and I dont know if its
going to work ok, but I need to know what is doing this if I am to get
an understanding.

Hope all is well with you all,
Regards
PtePike

Birds?

Pam in Bristol

Pam thankyou for responding.
mogga thankyou for responding.

It could be birds, but at this time of year is it likely? as they need
insects? I dont know, but I will let you know if the net works and that
will be proof enough for me.
As for mice, no chance here cos there are soooooo many moggies around here
(but).
There is always something not quite right with our veg garden and allotment
and it takes work work work and spend spend spend to sort it out, but the
highs are more than the lows, urm err I think.

Take care all of you
PtePike
Old 28-06-2010, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 14:16:16 GMT, PtePike wrote:

Pam Moore wrote in
:

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:04:58 GMT, PtePike wrote:

There is no evidence of slug activity.
All I see is a load of nibbled stalks where a young bean pod once was.

I have put some fine netting over them for now and I dont know if its
going to work ok, but I need to know what is doing this if I am to get
an understanding.

Hope all is well with you all,
Regards
PtePike

Birds?

Pam in Bristol

Pam thankyou for responding.
mogga thankyou for responding.

It could be birds, but at this time of year is it likely? as they need
insects? I dont know, but I will let you know if the net works and that
will be proof enough for me.
As for mice, no chance here cos there are soooooo many moggies around here

LOL yes I have three and the like to catch mice too ... but that
doesn't mean there's not mice out there.

Old 28-06-2010, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I have been told that sparrows will nibble off the flowers. I've not
seen it happen though.

Pam in Bristol

Runner beans, wot beans ?? AriesVal[_11_] United Kingdom 17 18-07-2011 11:38 AM
Is a runner bean a runner bean lloyd United Kingdom 9 28-09-2009 10:12 PM
Runner Beans mark United Kingdom 27 01-05-2009 10:37 PM
Runner Beans - No Beans ! Mike United Kingdom 10 02-09-2004 04:17 PM
Runner Beans, lots of flowers but no beans X United Kingdom 6 19-06-2003 09:32 AM