Old 02-09-2008, 12:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Carrots

My carrots are only about an inch long, has anyone else done any better
than that in New England this year?
Old 02-09-2008, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

sometime in the recent past General Schvantzkopf posted this:
My carrots are only about an inch long, has anyone else done any better
than that in New England this year?

I'm growing in only a 9.5" raised bed, so they tend to be short. But my
carrots are better than an 1" around and about 5" long. We didn't get the
excess rain everywhere else and I'm assuming you thinned them, right?

--
Wilson N44º39" W67º12"
Old 02-09-2008, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 15:30:57 -0400, Wilson wrote:

sometime in the recent past General Schvantzkopf posted this:
My carrots are only about an inch long, has anyone else done any better
than that in New England this year?

I'm growing in only a 9.5" raised bed, so they tend to be short. But my
carrots are better than an 1" around and about 5" long. We didn't get
the excess rain everywhere else and I'm assuming you thinned them,
right?

No I didn't thin them, would that really make such a big difference?
Old 03-09-2008, 02:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

sometime in the recent past General Schvantzkopf posted this:
On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 15:30:57 -0400, Wilson wrote:

sometime in the recent past General Schvantzkopf posted this:
My carrots are only about an inch long, has anyone else done any better
than that in New England this year?

I'm growing in only a 9.5" raised bed, so they tend to be short. But my
carrots are better than an 1" around and about 5" long. We didn't get
the excess rain everywhere else and I'm assuming you thinned them,
right?

No I didn't thin them, would that really make such a big difference?

Some folks mix some 'mortar-type' sand with these small seeds to gain a
little spacing. I take a pinch and move my hand while moving my fingers to
sprinkle seeds in a row. Still, I thin starting when the fronds are about 5"
tall removing stunted ones at first. Then as they grow, I remove the largest
carrots first and finally every other one until they're about 2.5" or more
apart, as the other poster mentioned.

But I pack my raised bed (3' x 4') of carrots so the rows are only 5" apart.
I grow more carrots than the wife & I can eat in a year that way. Thinking
of adding on another row of 2"x10"'s to that bed so my carrots get longer.
Since the beds are on hard back-filled gravel, the carrots don't go down far.

--
Wilson N44º39" W67º12"

Carrot Help Needed - Deformed Carrots - Deformed Carrots - 2011.jpg (1/1) seph...[_4_] Garden Photos 2 26-07-2011 06:43 PM
Carrot Help Needed - Deformed Carrots - Deformed Carrots - 2011.jpg (0/1) seph...[_4_] Garden Photos 2 20-07-2011 12:16 AM
Carrots shazzbat United Kingdom 1 11-06-2003 12:20 AM
Why have my carrots not come up? welshuser United Kingdom 34 05-06-2003 09:20 AM
Black Carrots Mook23 Gardening 7 03-04-2003 01:32 AM