Old 26-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Mook23

Default Black Carrots

I'vew read that there are species' or carrots that are black. Does anyone
know a source for these or possibly maybe some experience with them?

Old 26-03-2003, 09:44 PM
paghat

In article 1048712111.727395@news, "Mook23" wrote:

I'vew read that there are species' or carrots that are black. Does anyone
know a source for these or possibly maybe some experience with them?

Ewwww, black carrots, ewwwwwww.

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 26-03-2003, 11:20 PM
zhanataya

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 21:02:08 GMT, "Mook23" wrote:

I'vew read that there are species' or carrots that are black. Does anyone
know a source for these or possibly maybe some experience with them?

My source is my refrigerator. I haven't tried to eat them though.

zhan
Old 26-03-2003, 11:44 PM
david

You could try contacting these people, they may have seed.
http://www.yigitfoods.com/eng_company.htm

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 27-03-2003, 01:08 AM
bthache

I'm trying some of these maroon ones this year. They look really dark red
but are supposed to be really tasty. I'll let you know!
--
Tammie
Zone 2b-3a Far Northern Ontario

"Harvey R. Stone" wrote in message
y.com...
There are maroon carrots. They are very dark and might appear black. They
taste wonderful.

Old 27-03-2003, 03:20 AM
Cereoid+10+

The "Wild Carrot", Daucus carota, otherwise known as "Queen Anne's Lace" has
a rather small pale taproot. Pull one up this summer and you will see what I
mean. Only the garden cultivars have that large orange taproot because of
its much greater concentration of carotinoid and anthocyanin pigments. The
"Black Carrot" is a garden cultivar that has an even greater concentration
of those pigments giving the taproot the dark color. There are cultivars
with the taproots in other colors too!

http://website.lineone.net/~stolarczyk/history.html

Old 28-03-2003, 01:08 AM
madgarder

years ago (specifically around 1984) I grew what was listed as Mexican
carrots.......the picture on the envelope was a carrot shaped root that was
honest to pete, black. I sowed the seed like carrot seed (they were finger
managable, just large enough to drop along a line)....the tops were ferny, I
waited until I saw a dark tip poking thru and there were about a small
carrot bag (store) of the roots which were indeed, black. Cleaned them up,
cut off the ferns, and they lit my mouth up................apparently these
things were hotter than horseradish. My husband LOVED them, turned out they
were RADISHES and boy howdy were they flaming. btw, the seeds were odd ones
at a local K-mart years ago, when I went back to get him some more, I
discovered them one more time and they were all labled Black
radishes......so try looking for exotic seeds of black radish instead of
carrots..............best I can do on this one
madgardener

Old 03-04-2003, 01:32 AM

http://www.chempoint.com/supplierdetails.asp?id=Rhodia

A place to possible purchase your Black Carrot?