Old 28-10-2008, 02:55 AM
Registered User

Thumbs up nematodes

Hi there big problem with most potatoes this year SLUGS little buggers eating into the potatoe and just sitting there,been recomended to use NEMATODES anyone tried this or any other idea's?
Thanks Dave
Old 16-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by com-d View Post
Hi there big problem with most potatoes this year SLUGS little buggers eating into the potatoe and just sitting there,been recomended to use NEMATODES anyone tried this or any other idea's?
Thanks Dave
Hi Dave you should try growing Kestrel seed potatoes as they are slug resistant.
Nematodes could cause you more problems with your potatoes.

Regards Iain
Old 16-11-2008, 04:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default nematodes

In article ,
Tattieman wrote:

com-d;820526 Wrote:
Hi there big problem with most potatoes this year SLUGS little buggers
eating into the potatoe and just sitting there,been recomended to use
NEMATODES anyone tried this or any other idea's?
Thanks Dave

Hi Dave you should try growing Kestrel seed potatoes as they are slug
resistant.
Nematodes could cause you more problems with your potatoes.

Regards Iain

I think he's referring to beneficial nematodes.
They are good. :-)
--
Peace! Om

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." -- Dalai Lama
Old 16-11-2008, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Tattieman.395e636
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

com-d;820526 Wrote:
Hi there big problem with most potatoes this year SLUGS little buggers
eating into the potatoe and just sitting there,been recomended to use
NEMATODES anyone tried this or any other idea's?
Thanks Dave

Hi Dave you should try growing Kestrel seed potatoes as they are slug
resistant.
Nematodes could cause you more problems with your potatoes.

You're probably talking about potato cyst nematode or some such.

Com-d is asking about predatory nematodes.

Old 16-11-2008, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
PDM PDM is offline

"Tattieman" wrote in message

com-d;820526 Wrote:
Hi there big problem with most potatoes this year SLUGS little buggers
eating into the potatoe and just sitting there,been recomended to use
NEMATODES anyone tried this or any other idea's?
Thanks Dave

Hi Dave you should try growing Kestrel seed potatoes as they are slug
resistant.
Nematodes could cause you more problems with your potatoes.

Regards Iain

Had good success with them up to this year. But the wet summer overcame the
advantages and the slug population increased dramatically despite the
nematodes. What would have happened if I had not used them is anyone's
guess. Maybe I should have applied another lot later in the season.

Something I've noticed though, is that not all damage to potatoes is caused
by slugs. This year I found manure worms were a culprit and quite a few
worms had buried themselves into the potatoes. The problem occurred mostly
around the tubers that were affected with blight. I seems manure worms love
blight.

PDM.

Old 17-11-2008, 04:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"PDM" pdcm99minus this wrote:

"Tattieman" wrote in message

com-d;820526 Wrote:
[...]

For slugs, try pans of beer.
They are especially partial to dark ale. :-)

I kid you not.

Old 18-11-2008, 01:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Hi there big problem with most potatoes this year SLUGS little buggers
eating into the potatoe and just sitting there,been recomended to use
NEMATODES anyone tried this or any other idea's?
Thanks Dave

www.recyclenow.org/less-toxic/SnailsSlugs.PDF

Iron phosphate = Sluggo

It made gardening much less frustrating for me this year:O)
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars

Nematodes :-( Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 6 26-02-2005 10:16 AM
where to find nematodes/ diatomaceous earth Judy Devore Texas 26 17-05-2003 05:44 AM
still looking for where to buy DE and nematodes Judy Devore Texas 1 08-05-2003 01:44 PM
[IBC] nematodes Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 10 08-03-2003 02:56 AM
Sites on nematodes, slugs, wireworms etc. sacha United Kingdom 2 27-11-2002 09:18 AM